Friday, March 09, 2007

It's been a while...

Apologies for the weird ass formating on my last post. I wrote it in Word and for some reason all the dashes I put in turned into kooky ass mumbo jumbo.

Anyway.. moving on. Not a whole lot to report. My life continues on rather uneventfully. But I have a few rants...and very few raves.

Rant #1
UBC.
I officially hate the University of British Columbia. Why oh why do I give them all my money? As most of you may know, since I got back from Brasil I have busy pouring my dollars and my time into upgrading two silly ass 3 yr undergrad courses that even though I have a B.A with a major in English, I apparently "need" them to be a smart and sophisticated high school English teacher. Now I don't know about other people but I don't see how the linguistic history of Proto Indo European language is applicable to writing grade 10 essays about Animal Farm (see Ms. Grace's blog for a look back into that one). But regardless of what I think, UBC forced me to pay them over 1000$ per course and I have been slaving away writing essays and what have you since Sept. So anyway, two days ago I get an email from the admission officer at the UBC school of education to inform me that the course that I have been taking since Sept (and will be done in April) was recently deemed unnecessary!! Therefore, the 1200 bucks and countless hours of work I put into the course are also unnecessary. How convenient that the UBC senate put off this decision until we were so far into the course that we couldn't withdraw or demand our money back...how convenient indeed.

Rant #2
Rain. Ok, yes I know, I'm from Vancouver and I have absolutely no right to complain about the rain because being born here I automatically have duck feet and am supposed to live gleefully in the downpour. Well screw that! Rain sucks. The worst part about rain is how even if you have an umbrella and your head doesn't get wet, for some reason if you walk anywhere for more than 5 minutes your jeans are soaked up to your knees. Why the hell does that happen anyway? It's one of those fashion mysteries. I remember when I used to live in montreal I use to line the bottom of my pants in fashionable duct tape. It carried with it the added bonus of a fashion accent (or did it?) and it waterproofed the bottom of my pants. Ahhh the things we do when we are 18.
Anyway, Vancouver is rainy and slick and so are my jeans from the knee down.

Rant#3
my job sucks and is slowly sucking my soul.

Rant#4
Luciano is MIA. Worried? I'm not sure what to think. If he's MIA because he has changed his mind about me coming down well there's not a lot that I can do about it and I have to respect his decision. If he's MIA because he's fallen victim to Rio, then I have reason to be worried. He was supposed to contact me 2 weeks ago and still I've heard nothing.

Rant#5
Online Communities - Why can't people just stick to one online-chat-to-your-friends-post cheeky msgs page? First it was Friendster, fine I was all over that, got my page blah blah blah, next I finally became a myspacer, so now, just as I'm all myspace literate everyone's all over facebook. I can't keep up. It's craziness. Just stop being so ADD about it people! It's just the same people on every page. Oh well, now I'm all set up and will hopefully live happily ever after on myspace with a dash of facebook. But truth be told I like myspace better because it's prettier.

Rave#1
The term paper to beat down all term papers was handed in on March 2nd. If I read another peice of Queer Theory between now and the end of the foreseable future I will puke. I am very happy to never have to use the word "reappropriation" "linguistic" or "minority identities"
for a while. Oi! Next on the paper trail, a collaborative paper with a guy in Toronto which will be written completely over the internet. Welcome to the 21st Century. Boo!


Rave#2
Sakura - The buds are out and every few trees I see a little peek of pink. Gotta love Sakura...ahhh the end of this apocalyptic winter nears!

Rave#3
Last King of Scotland. This movie was good, very tasty deliciously good. It's intense and made my friend Hana literally pass out during the ending scene but wowwy, it was pretty good. Not for the faint of heart I guess but it sure beats something shlocky starring Drew Barrymore (sorry Hana). I came out of it quite riveted and ready to head to Africa. Maybe that's where I'll go next. Forrest Whitaker is the man and that lazy eye makes him all the more convincing. There were a few plot related moment where I found myself saying "ya right, as if!!" but I will not divulge because everyone hates the person who ruins the plot.

Rave#4
Map thingys. As you may have noticed I have a neato little map thingy on the side of this page. I just installed it so I'm sure if it's up and running yet but it is supposed to miraculously track where all "my peeps are at" well then! Anyway the better version is on my myspace page but it was too big to fit on here and I am way too html illiterate to figure out how to shrink it. So everybody please click here
My fancy myspace map will record your city and everything and then I can feel all cosmopolitan by reviewing and bathing in all my wordly friends' auras.

Hmmm that's about all I can think of at this moment..

Oh and a tiny little quasi rave because I'm too embarrased to give it a full rave...America's Next Top Model is back on TV. Hello everyone body, my name is Joe and I am a ANTM-aholic.

Cheers
J

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

I have vowed never ever to go back to school again. I'm sorry about your school drama. I greatly dislike the bureaucratic BS of the public university system!

And BTW, I'm addicted to ANTM, too. I'm waiting for episode 4 to come on as I read your entry.

14 March, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I would be SO PISSED if that happened to me. That's even worse than my school screwing me over for next year (ending in me quitting). Wow. I think I lost more money than you, though. I could have been working for 10 more man a month somewhere else these 6 months. Shit.

I hope Luciano turns up!! My thoughts are with you. <3

14 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home