Sunday, March 18, 2007

I was just cleaning out my garbled up mess of old files and found this little procrastination break I took after my computer ate my paper. I can't even remember what paper it was but I guess it inspired me...Funny.

Sunday night, 2 am. While most of the city is sound asleep I was sitting at my computer rabidly typing in a desperate attempt to finish the next day’s assignment when something went awry. First it was a small tick, disrupting the usual purr of my PC. It was enough to spike my nerves but not enough to stop me from the task at hand. But then it got louder, a deep-throated growl, guttural and hungry for words, my words. Slowly, it began to devour my paper and as each line melted away into the darkness of its jaws my adrenaline rose. Kill the Beast! I desperately fought to reclaim my prized words but it was to no avail. My hard drive continued to busily chew up my many hours of work, tearing up my words vowel for vowel, gulping down another line with every tick and pop until there was almost nothing left. As is the case when battling any predatory brute, I made full use of the array of weapons at my disposal. Heart pumping, I reached for the Ctrl-Alt-Del, a clean shot but to not effect, next in my artillery, Esc. Bam! Bam! Hit it twice but still the voracious fiend could not be halted. Finally I had no choice but to pull out my most powerful weapon, Reboot. I pulled the trigger, made contact and for a second all went quiet. Victorious! But then I heard another quiet tick and pop, and before I could line up another shot, it slinked away into the darkness, my paper still held tightly in its jaws.

In other news, for some reason internet explorer will not let me post on this thing anymore so I have hopped on over the the competition. Hello Modzilla, thank you for keeping the hope alive.

I have lots of things waiting to be composed and posted here. They are brewing in my little brain. Bubbling and simmering away. It's weird I always get inspired on the skytrain on my way to work or in the bathroom on when I'm lying in bed. By the time I get online I have lost it. Where's my portable thought recorder when I need it.

Hmmm any other news?

oh, got my paper back...and....89% baby! I am currently sitting at a sparkly 91% in that class. Ooooh! that will razzle dazzle on my transcripts for sure! On the historical linguistics front I am also doing much better and am at a steady 88.





1 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Despite your computer trying vehemently to destroy your academic career, you pull through! Way to go, Joe!

20 March, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home