Sunday, February 20, 2005

Sometimes two things are so different that it is impossible for them to co-exist. On the surface, they may seem perfectly in synch, two peices of the whole, steady, placid. But in reality there's an undeniable tension. Something in the base of their nature that makes them incompatible, explosively so.

Take tornadoes for instance. Tornadoes, in the most simplest of terms are made of nothing more than air currents. Two currents are skimming along and in an instant they meet. At first glance, they appear to be the same, made of the same base elements, the same substance, particles, but when looked at closer, it becomes evident that they are, in fact, in complete opposition to one another. One warm, one cold. One full of moisture, life and the other dry, torrid. They meet and their differences are impossible to navigate. They combine to create something destructive, violently unmanageable.

But this explosion doesn't happen immediately. When the currents first meet they intermix, the destructive forces of the storm begin to form but they do so in the upper atmosphere. To an onlooker, everthing seems fine. The clouds may seem entangled, but it's hard to tell if there is menace behind the mixture. In fact, it may appear to be a thing of beauty rather than something to be worried about. Soon enough however, the two opposing currents push each other to the point where a storm forms and pushes towards the ground. At the height of the storm the updraft and the downdraft and in such strong opposition to one another that they create a force that is impossible to contain. It destroys and then as quickly as it began, it dissapears. The downdraft strengthens and cuts off the updraft, stopping the inflow of moist air. The storm has nothing left to do but rain itself out. One peice of the whole, in the end, destroys the entire thing and there is nothing left of what they had become when they were a union except for memories, newpaper clippings .

Human relationships perhaps aren't so different. Sometimes two people appear to be of the same substance but in the end it's impossible for them to be together. Their core beliefs, substances, desires, expectations are too different to co-exist. They explode and then they fade away into memory. The way one chooses to remember the storm is what's important. You can barricade yourself in the cellar, hidding for when the inevitable strikes again or you can carry on and weather the storm the next time it hits. Because, inevitably it will hit again.

I broke up with my boyfriend last week. I'm having a hard time not locking myself in that cellar. One can only sit through so many storms before they loose the will to fight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw Joe, I am so sorry to hear that. We were supposed to ganbaru with our J boys together!!

But I know what you mean about two people being too different to co-exist. I don't know whether it was a cultural thing or just an individual thing, but I'm sure you chose to right path.

I think you shouldn't hide because #1 it's inevitable like you said, and #2, you'll be a lot happier just taking the pain standing up. If you can take the next one standing up, it hurts less and less each time. There is my 21 (almost 22!) years' worth of wisdom.... after having said that, I dunno if you trust me or not. Haha. Okay, take care of yourself!! Ganbare! ~Katharine

20 February, 2005  
Blogger Blynder said...

Wow! That is awesome. I really needed to hear that. It's about time I get out of my bad relationship. I don't know if this makes you feel better, but you just made a big difference in my life and opened my eyes to a lot. Keep writing, keep trying and thanks.

Remove the Blynder: Post

20 February, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the font color. It was...stormy!!

22 February, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home