Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Well, apparently I have 4 fans above and beyond my mother and father. It's not an earth shattering number but it's enough to keep me writing. Enjoy my faithfull followers, enjoy!

ok, without further ado....


Kameyama bad boys update #3

Well, I thought that perhaps Mr. Tanga Daisuke (see "Kameyama bad boys tour post...he's the boy with the towel over his face) couldn't get any worse but yesterday my school had to go into a full out Columbine style lockdown due to Tanga's less that civil behaviour. Of course back in Canada or America or wherever, a school would never go into actual lockdown for anything less than the gun totting or the knife weilding but I think by Japanese standards this was a pretty big deal and I have to admit that I was a little concerned for my personal safety (if only for a brief second) I found myself thinking " common sex appeal, you've never failed me where my bad boys were concerned before, don't fail me now!" Luckily for me, Tanga's desire to sleep with me rather than kill me seemed to have prevailed and I was left out of the maylay even though I quickly found myself right smack in the middle of it.

Tanga often acts up, lots of screaming, pushing teachers, general disobedience but he's been getting worse recently. As you may have read a while back, he did a little smashing and screaming last month and so I was told that the police had been called but I never actually saw them...anyway, let's enjoying Tanga's recent venture into the world of social disfunction.

Yesterday it was snowy, probably the snowiest day I have seen yet in Kameyama. Maybe ankle deep. So what do all boys do in the snow? Make snowballs of course, no harm in that, perfectly natural. So Tanga decides he's going to make some snowballs in the middle of class and toss them around. Of course the teacher would like him to keep his pitching practice for non-class time so he asks him to stop and please come back in. Well, Tanga is a very agressive boy on a very short fuse and pretty much if you do so much as tweak a sliver of discontent in him there is no turning back.

Tanga didn't much like being told to sit down and engage in being educated so he went off the deep end, rushed into class and started assaulting the teacher (keep in mind that this was not during my class, I learned exactly what happened in the painfully long debriefing meeting we had after school was cancelled for the rest of the day) anyway Kato sensei who isn't that big of a guy (5ft 6 maybe) calls for help and Inagaki sensei (all 6ft, 250 pounds of him comes rushing in and with great difficulty peels him off Kato)

Somehow they manage to make it to the teacher's office. By the time they get there (this is of course where I am, quietly sitting at my desk reading) Tanga, his three buddies and about 6 teachers are in a huge scuffle in the hallway right outside the door. Tanga's got one hand on Kato's neck and the other giving him a healthy serving of punches to the face. Meanwhile all the other teachers are trying to get Tanga off. Kato manages to get away and so it's down to Tanga vs. every male teacher in the school. At one point Kato is back on the floor and Tanga is now brandishing the industrial sized fire extinguisher he's ripped off the wall. Several attempts were made to bash Kato's head in with it before Tani sensei manages to wrestle it away from him.

The strength of this boy when he is angry is unbelievable, he isn't that big but can fight off four or five teachers when he's really going. I don't really know how to describe him when he's in a rage, he's almost animalistic. He screams but it's not the scream of a normal person when they are angry, it's monstrous and quite frightening, especially when you witness this kid possessing the strength of 5 adult men.

This all continues for about 15 minutes and the police are called after Tanga kicks through a glass sliding door (creating a whole slew of new potential weapons for him to brandish). Keep in mind that he also manages to slice his foot up while doing so but doesn't even seem to notice his adrenaline is pumping so hard. Finally probably due to nothing more than pure exhaustion and the appearance of the police Tanga calms down and is taken to the hospital for stitches. When he gets back to school is quickly taken into police custody and he (along with his parents) go to take Tanga to the Japanese equivalent of Juvenille Hall.

It's difficult to really convey what happened in writing but it was quite scary and I found myself feeling very disturbed by the whole thing. If Tani sensei would have been a bit slower in getting that fire extinguisher away from Tanga I am 100% sure that he would have thought nothing of smashing Kato's scull with it. Why this boy has so much anger in him I can't understand. What his household must be like? I have a strange feeling that Tanga runs it, his parent seemed a little afraid of him.

It was suggested to me that perhaps his parent were Yakuza but Daichi quickly shot that idea down. He said Yakuza kids are much too afraid of their fathers to act up like that. I guess that maybe he's just a kid with a few screws loose.

As much as the whole things scared me and enraged me, it also excited me. I really want to work with kids like that. Ya, I'll probably end up teaching at Work and Learn or educational programmes for kids in jail or something like that.

School councellor = dream job

I have found from working here with these boys that I can relate fairly well to kids like that. Maybe it's because I'm still young and I can't bring myself to exist truly as a superior. I guess I'm not that much of threat, perhaps they notice that I don't see them as nothing more than juvie delinquents. Maybe my having had to deal with the female equivalent of Tanga in my own family for pretty much my whole life has also helped me to look at these kids differently. Maybe it's the fact that my current boyfriend was pretty much a carbon copy of this kid at his school but managed (after many bumps in the road) to turn out not so bad.

So anyway, I don't think I'll be seeing Tanga for a while. Daichi said he'll probably end up in Juvie jail for a month or two. April is graduation here so as of March 31st he's official out of our hands.

On a more random note....

Today is bean tossing day.
You throw beans out your window and yell "Devil get outta my house!, good luck, come on in!" (of course you say this in Japanese). You also have to eat one dried soy bean for every year you've been alive and stand facing South/South-West and eat an entire sushi log in complete silence while everyone watches you. This will guarantee good luck and prosperity for the next year.

Let's throwing devil busting beans out the window!
Let's doing it now!

J

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that kid is really psycho. I can see how growing up here is really difficult-- I certainly would not want to go through the Japanese education system. But this kid doesn't need to be so psycho, he could just wait till he graduates junior high. That school fight must have been so crazy!

Anywho, I know what you mean about the soybean-throwing. I could never eat the whole piece of sushi in one go. Blargh!

06 February, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home