Let's Enjoying spelling tests!
Ahh, the dreaded dictation test, the scourge of every second language class. Sitting there, sweaty palms, beaded brow. The room grows still, the taps of pencils, the sound of a tapping foot behind you. Concentration teetering on the brink of a head on colision with more interesting topics like "are my bangs completely perfectly semetrical?" or "Daisuke lent me his favorite Doraemon mechanical pencil yesterday, I wonder if he likes me, wow that would be so cool! We could go to Bell City together and he could be my boyfriend and then I could milk him for all he's worth and get lots of brand name goods outta him....ahhh man I really need a new Louis Vuitton bag to add to my collection" or "hmmm I hope my mom made me a good bento today, lots of extra cocktail wieners, man, last week she made my bento ALL WRONG! and all the other kids in the class made fun of me, how humiliating! God, parents are SOOO impossible!"
And so are the inner workings of my 2nd grade girls...
So what is the sum of Dictation test + teenage meanderings?
The following is a direct copy of one of my students' 2nd grade (8th grade in CND) recent dictation test.
The word I dictated will be written in cheery PINK and her clever answer will be written in equally cheery RED...
lake riku
most mousto
win uin
hope poku
exciting ekisiteingu
both gousto
international entanasumaru
against aginst
match mati
team timu
She's not one of my most stellar students as you may have guessed.
And of course, Yui and all her classmates have had the word list for at least a month and were given a weeks notice before the test.
Ahhh Japan.....
Ahh, the dreaded dictation test, the scourge of every second language class. Sitting there, sweaty palms, beaded brow. The room grows still, the taps of pencils, the sound of a tapping foot behind you. Concentration teetering on the brink of a head on colision with more interesting topics like "are my bangs completely perfectly semetrical?" or "Daisuke lent me his favorite Doraemon mechanical pencil yesterday, I wonder if he likes me, wow that would be so cool! We could go to Bell City together and he could be my boyfriend and then I could milk him for all he's worth and get lots of brand name goods outta him....ahhh man I really need a new Louis Vuitton bag to add to my collection" or "hmmm I hope my mom made me a good bento today, lots of extra cocktail wieners, man, last week she made my bento ALL WRONG! and all the other kids in the class made fun of me, how humiliating! God, parents are SOOO impossible!"
And so are the inner workings of my 2nd grade girls...
So what is the sum of Dictation test + teenage meanderings?
The following is a direct copy of one of my students' 2nd grade (8th grade in CND) recent dictation test.
The word I dictated will be written in cheery PINK and her clever answer will be written in equally cheery RED...
lake riku
most mousto
win uin
hope poku
exciting ekisiteingu
both gousto
international entanasumaru
against aginst
match mati
team timu
She's not one of my most stellar students as you may have guessed.
And of course, Yui and all her classmates have had the word list for at least a month and were given a weeks notice before the test.
Ahhh Japan.....


2 Comments:
One of my students had a shirt on today that said "Smoke: Get Stoked!" Ahhhh, my ichi-nensei elementary school students!
Did I mention the t-shirt that said "local marijuana growers association, local union 369", with a HUGE pot leaf in the middle of it?
And who was it that wore this shirt to school? The P.E. teacher. That's right: "Eat 5-8 servings of vegetables a day, exercise for 30 minutes, and then go home and smoke a nice fat joint".
Post a Comment
<< Home