The following is a quote from the Bangkok Post:
The multi-coloured group led by Tul Sitthisomwong on Saturday issued a statement demanding the red-shirts to stop using war weapons and stop creating unrest.
The group said the acts violate the rights of others and prevented people from living an ordinary life.
"Because your demonstration have violated the rights of others, we demand that you stop the protest and find other ways to voice your demands," said the statement.
The multi-coloured group said it supports the authorities' operations to restore peace in the country.
"We support the authorities to use force against those who use war weapons and other violent means against security personnel," the statement said.
The protesters should put down their weapons and end the protest immediate to save their own lives and bring peace back to the country, it said.
Link the article here
If you don't know, the "multi-coloured shirts" are a group of pro-monarchy/anti-Red protesters who popped up about 3 weeks ago. They started to protest outside of the Red's camp but the multicoloured movement was pretty quiet since many of them were afraid of violence and confrontation so they cancelled most of their demonstrations. The multi-coloured are not to confused with the yellow shirts or the Pink shirts. It's a very one shirt, two shirt, red shirt, blue shirt kinda situation. When we think of "colour wars" we usually associate it with race. Not here, Thais are killing Thais based solely on the colour of their T-shirts.
Anyway, back to the newspaper quote.
This is quote is a great example of how ridiculous this situation has become. Tul is clearly trying to make the Reds seem like a heavily armed group of violent militia men or something. I can't tell you how many photos I've seen of red protesters standing in the middle of the road stripped to their underwear in order to show the army and the media that they are in fact NOT armed. Yes, there are those with weapons. It would be stupid to say that there weren't and I'm not saying that the Reds have not been using them at times violently, but the majority of them are unarmed and if they are armed they are armed with sticks, rocks, sling shots and arrows. It is not the protesters who should put down their "war weapons" it's the thousands of rifle and machine gun totting soldiers and police who should put down their weapons. How can they expect the Reds to calmly put down their weapons when they are faced by a wall of automatic weaponry?
They've already said they will fight to the death. Insults and ignorant comments meant to degrade and devalue the Reds will not achieve anything.
That's all I'm going to say for now. Let's move to something a bit more positive shall we?
On a completely unrelated and much more happy note, I have some positive stuff happening in my life.
I am moving out of SP mansion on June 1st into the City Living building where Me, Carrie, Bogle, Sarah and Flick will all be living next year. It was a building that I have been interested in for quite a while. I'm pretty excited. Walking distance to the subway, shops and restaurants. I still have a pool and a balcony and all the good stuff and it's about 10,000 baht cheaper per month. Cha-ching!
I have also taken on an after school tutoring job twice a week for one hour each day. The money I make there almost pays my entire rent so that means the rental allowance I get from school (which is going up next year!) will pretty much just go in my pocket!!! Yippee! Maybe I might finally manage to save some money next year since I didn't save a cent this year!! But did have some wicked vacations!
Last night I conquered one of my big Bangkok fears as well. I rode side-saddle on the back of a motorcycle taxi all the way home from the gym (for those who don't live here that involves a lot of weaving in and out of traffic and going pretty fast). I don't have the morning bus to school at my new place like I do here so I have to take a moto to school everyday. Since I wear a lot of skirts the side-saddle mastery is a must. I am now in the "who needs to stradle a seat" club. Yay for me.
My trip back to Bali this summer is slowly coming together. I am spending 5 nights back in Ubud where I will do all the things that I didn't do last time I was there (climb Mt.Batur, walk around in the rice fields, see my old Indonesian teacher Raka, rent a bicycle and peddal to hidden places, maybe even go to the dreaded monkey forest...shudder). I have booked 2 days in Jimbaran when I first get there then I think I'll go to Kuta for 2 days, Ubud for 5, back to the Gilis for some diving and maybe a night or two in Lombok or Gili Meno. Then I'm thinking of heading to the North of Bali to a place called Ahmed where there is a really good WWII wreck to do some more diving. They also have Sun Fish diving trips there. I'm super tempted. They are a bit expensive but to see a sun fish in the wild would be amazing! They are apparently incredibly rare. Would love it if I could say that I've swam with 2 whale sharks, Manta rays, sea turtles and sun fish all in my first year of diving!
The multi-coloured group led by Tul Sitthisomwong on Saturday issued a statement demanding the red-shirts to stop using war weapons and stop creating unrest.
The group said the acts violate the rights of others and prevented people from living an ordinary life.
"Because your demonstration have violated the rights of others, we demand that you stop the protest and find other ways to voice your demands," said the statement.
The multi-coloured group said it supports the authorities' operations to restore peace in the country.
"We support the authorities to use force against those who use war weapons and other violent means against security personnel," the statement said.
The protesters should put down their weapons and end the protest immediate to save their own lives and bring peace back to the country, it said.
Link the article here
If you don't know, the "multi-coloured shirts" are a group of pro-monarchy/anti-Red protesters who popped up about 3 weeks ago. They started to protest outside of the Red's camp but the multicoloured movement was pretty quiet since many of them were afraid of violence and confrontation so they cancelled most of their demonstrations. The multi-coloured are not to confused with the yellow shirts or the Pink shirts. It's a very one shirt, two shirt, red shirt, blue shirt kinda situation. When we think of "colour wars" we usually associate it with race. Not here, Thais are killing Thais based solely on the colour of their T-shirts.
Anyway, back to the newspaper quote.
This is quote is a great example of how ridiculous this situation has become. Tul is clearly trying to make the Reds seem like a heavily armed group of violent militia men or something. I can't tell you how many photos I've seen of red protesters standing in the middle of the road stripped to their underwear in order to show the army and the media that they are in fact NOT armed. Yes, there are those with weapons. It would be stupid to say that there weren't and I'm not saying that the Reds have not been using them at times violently, but the majority of them are unarmed and if they are armed they are armed with sticks, rocks, sling shots and arrows. It is not the protesters who should put down their "war weapons" it's the thousands of rifle and machine gun totting soldiers and police who should put down their weapons. How can they expect the Reds to calmly put down their weapons when they are faced by a wall of automatic weaponry?
They've already said they will fight to the death. Insults and ignorant comments meant to degrade and devalue the Reds will not achieve anything.
That's all I'm going to say for now. Let's move to something a bit more positive shall we?
On a completely unrelated and much more happy note, I have some positive stuff happening in my life.
I am moving out of SP mansion on June 1st into the City Living building where Me, Carrie, Bogle, Sarah and Flick will all be living next year. It was a building that I have been interested in for quite a while. I'm pretty excited. Walking distance to the subway, shops and restaurants. I still have a pool and a balcony and all the good stuff and it's about 10,000 baht cheaper per month. Cha-ching!
I have also taken on an after school tutoring job twice a week for one hour each day. The money I make there almost pays my entire rent so that means the rental allowance I get from school (which is going up next year!) will pretty much just go in my pocket!!! Yippee! Maybe I might finally manage to save some money next year since I didn't save a cent this year!! But did have some wicked vacations!
Last night I conquered one of my big Bangkok fears as well. I rode side-saddle on the back of a motorcycle taxi all the way home from the gym (for those who don't live here that involves a lot of weaving in and out of traffic and going pretty fast). I don't have the morning bus to school at my new place like I do here so I have to take a moto to school everyday. Since I wear a lot of skirts the side-saddle mastery is a must. I am now in the "who needs to stradle a seat" club. Yay for me.
My trip back to Bali this summer is slowly coming together. I am spending 5 nights back in Ubud where I will do all the things that I didn't do last time I was there (climb Mt.Batur, walk around in the rice fields, see my old Indonesian teacher Raka, rent a bicycle and peddal to hidden places, maybe even go to the dreaded monkey forest...shudder). I have booked 2 days in Jimbaran when I first get there then I think I'll go to Kuta for 2 days, Ubud for 5, back to the Gilis for some diving and maybe a night or two in Lombok or Gili Meno. Then I'm thinking of heading to the North of Bali to a place called Ahmed where there is a really good WWII wreck to do some more diving. They also have Sun Fish diving trips there. I'm super tempted. They are a bit expensive but to see a sun fish in the wild would be amazing! They are apparently incredibly rare. Would love it if I could say that I've swam with 2 whale sharks, Manta rays, sea turtles and sun fish all in my first year of diving!
Screw the aquarium I'm gonna check that shit out in the wild!
Pretty trippy looking fish eh!
Cheers from the warzone
J



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home