Welcome to the warzone
So I finally decided that I should take a trip down to Silom and take a first hand look at what urban warfare looks like. Not surprisingly, in Bangkok it looks fairly tame. The Reds have taken over Lumpini park and the surrounding area but as we walked by all we heard speeches and live music coming from behind the tires, barbed wire and sharpened bamboo. Although it was tempting to try to get into the camp, we decided against it.
The thing that struck me the most about the entire situation was not the Reds and their fortified encampment but the police and military presence on Silom Road. They were everywhere, hundreds of them in full riot gear, guns in hand, sheilds, helmets and batons at the ready. But they were all dressed up with nowhere to go (or noone to beat up/shoot/intimidate). So what is a soldier in full riot armour to do in 50+ degree heat? Lie down and watch the football game of course. I would have loved to have taken a photo of the amount of soldiers relaxing about on the sidewalks but I thought they might not appreciate my camera shutter, so I refrained.
The experience got me to thinking. In Thailand most boys must serve 1-2 years of mandatory military service. Those who do not are the ones who are rich enough to buy themselves (or their sons) a free pass...a.k.a my students. Anyway, as I looked at all the soldiers poised with their guns on the side of the road I couldn't help but notice how incredibly young they were. Many of them were definintely the same age as some of my students. No wonder there is incidences of the military overreacting and shooting protesters - they are children with guns!
The second problem is this: Because rich people can afford to buy their way out of military service and because the majority of Thailand's population are rural poor, the bulk of these soldiers are poor young farmers from the countryside. Now, let's think about who make up the majority of the Red protesters...yup, you got it, poor farmers from the countryside. So when push comes to shove and the government finally decides to flex its military muscles, do you really think that these young men are going to fire on their own people who are unarmed (except for the ubiquitous red clappers)? I have a feeling they may not. There has been a lot of talk about the military being split - this would only add to that.
On Friday I participated in a short course on Thai political history. This story has played itself out in Thailand time and time again. 1973, 1991, 2006...each time the military intervened and mowed down the "opposition"... they didn't always "win" but they managed to kill enough people in the mix. So, I ask, is this going to be any different? As one of the Thai staff at my school who witnessed all three of the last military massacres said "I hope not but I'm not sure..."
So I finally decided that I should take a trip down to Silom and take a first hand look at what urban warfare looks like. Not surprisingly, in Bangkok it looks fairly tame. The Reds have taken over Lumpini park and the surrounding area but as we walked by all we heard speeches and live music coming from behind the tires, barbed wire and sharpened bamboo. Although it was tempting to try to get into the camp, we decided against it.
The thing that struck me the most about the entire situation was not the Reds and their fortified encampment but the police and military presence on Silom Road. They were everywhere, hundreds of them in full riot gear, guns in hand, sheilds, helmets and batons at the ready. But they were all dressed up with nowhere to go (or noone to beat up/shoot/intimidate). So what is a soldier in full riot armour to do in 50+ degree heat? Lie down and watch the football game of course. I would have loved to have taken a photo of the amount of soldiers relaxing about on the sidewalks but I thought they might not appreciate my camera shutter, so I refrained.
The experience got me to thinking. In Thailand most boys must serve 1-2 years of mandatory military service. Those who do not are the ones who are rich enough to buy themselves (or their sons) a free pass...a.k.a my students. Anyway, as I looked at all the soldiers poised with their guns on the side of the road I couldn't help but notice how incredibly young they were. Many of them were definintely the same age as some of my students. No wonder there is incidences of the military overreacting and shooting protesters - they are children with guns!
The second problem is this: Because rich people can afford to buy their way out of military service and because the majority of Thailand's population are rural poor, the bulk of these soldiers are poor young farmers from the countryside. Now, let's think about who make up the majority of the Red protesters...yup, you got it, poor farmers from the countryside. So when push comes to shove and the government finally decides to flex its military muscles, do you really think that these young men are going to fire on their own people who are unarmed (except for the ubiquitous red clappers)? I have a feeling they may not. There has been a lot of talk about the military being split - this would only add to that.
On Friday I participated in a short course on Thai political history. This story has played itself out in Thailand time and time again. 1973, 1991, 2006...each time the military intervened and mowed down the "opposition"... they didn't always "win" but they managed to kill enough people in the mix. So, I ask, is this going to be any different? As one of the Thai staff at my school who witnessed all three of the last military massacres said "I hope not but I'm not sure..."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home