Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Welcome to the war zone!

Today I got my bi-weekly "welcome to the war zone" email from the Canadian embassy in Bangkok. I have to admit it's nice to know they are keeping tabs on me and they also let me know that in the event of a mass evacuation of citizens I would be one of the first in line because I had the forsight to register with them when I arrived.
I think they are being a bit over the top though. I will let you judge for yourself:

"OFFICIAL WARNING: Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to and within Bangkok due to ongoing large-scale political demonstrations, which have been marked by violence, death, and injury. A state of emergency remains in effect. The security situation is very volatile with significant potential for further civil unrest, violent clashes, and attacks. Canadians currently in Bangkok should avoid all non-essential movement, exercise extreme caution, follow the advice of local authorities, closely monitor local media, and, if violence erupts, remain indoors."

So far since my return to Bangkok life has been exactly the same as it has always been. I have been travelling "non-essentially" all over the place. To the gym, to the mall, to the bar. So far the "very volitile" situation has not phased me. Although my friend Sarah heard gunfire this morning. I figure it's only a matter of time until things really blow up and when they do it's going to be bloody I'm sure. I've decided to move from wearing red undies to wearing a red band as a bracelet to show my support. I'll make it subtle enough that the powers that be don't fire me for supporting the "terrorists"....

Today in the paper the headline read that current government had uncovered a "secret" conspiracy in which the Reds are plotting against the king. If you want to start hysteria in this country and make a quick villain out of anyone, just say they are plotting against the king. How convenient that this "conspiracy" has just been uncovered now.

Anyway, Just so you know, I'm fine and all the crazy stuff in the media is really only focussed on a small part of town. But the armoured personel carriers and the men with machine guns are becoming ubiquitous. I just hope they don't start firing them any time soon...especially in my direction.

...is it just me or does every foreign country I move to end up in some kind of urban guerilla war?

Cheers from "volatile" Bangkok
J

1 Comments:

Blogger McLeods in Kelowna said...

TREAD CAREFULLY.I'M TORN BETWEEN ENVY FOR YOUR POSITION TO WATCH THE WORLD EVOLVE AND CONCERN FOR YOUR SAFETY BUT I KNOW THAT YOU MOM DIDN'T RAISE ANY FOOLS. NEVER GIVE AN INCH FROM YOUR MORAL STANCE AND RUN LIKE HELL WHEN THE BULLETS GET TOO CLOSE TO HOME. TAKE CARE.

02 May, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home