Thursday, September 27, 2007

Greetings from the education factory.

Fortunately the machine has not yet killed me.

Much apologies for all my adoring fans who are oh-so upset at my empty promises of Brasil pictures.

I must admit that Facebook has stolen what little bit of free time that I have and now my poor little blog has been forsaken. Lucky for you all I have my first big presentation tomorrow and am in need of some delicious distraction. I benefit, you benefit Voila! All is calm in the universe and you get to see some more pics. I also get to elaborate on all those little nuggets of info I teased you with about my travels.






The above picture has been inspired by my friend Ben's trip to China. He came back from his travels with many a picture of the Great Wall....he had a similar ly enlightening photographic experience.

I ripped the above picture off a Rio tourism site on the internet. Wow doesn't it look clear and crisp, a virtual piece of heaven if I do say so myself. Who wouldn't want to go when it looks like that! Well just hold your britches ladies and gents, below is a picture I took of almost the exact same scene, just a bit off to one side. Notice any difference?



Did you spot the difference? If you didn't please concentrate on the slick of brown haze gently caressing the horizon. Yum! Those tourism sites are thanking their lucky stars for Photoshop, that's I all I can say about that! What you also can't see from this photo is that the Rio airport is in between those two big mountains and big jet airliners fly in between them at shockingly low heights and spew jet exhaust all over the place.




Here's me and Luciano romantically looking over the smog haze. That's right people, nothing says loving like smog! This picture is pretty funny because we gave my camera to this kooky Chinese man to take our picture and then all of a sudden out of nowhere all these other Chinese tourists came with their own cameras and starting snapping our picture feverishly. I have no idea why but I am happy to know that my beautiful mug is being passed around the last great bastion of communist delight...well besides Cuba that is.





Ahh yes, what trip to Brasil is complete without a visit to the big man upstairs himself. Just after I got home Christ the Redeemer was named one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Just between you and me, it's not that wondrous. It's actually quite small. But Brasilians are really freaking proud of it so whatever you do don't diss the big man. The funny thing about the whole "new 7 wonders" thing is that it was decided through an internet vote that was open to the public. Everywhere you went in Brasil there were huge billboards begging people to vote for the Redeemer, there were TV commercials, adds on buses and train stations, adds on the radio and in the supermarkets and newspapers. Everywhere you went they were begging for the people of Brasil to put their mark on the map. I guess it worked. But like I said before...just between you and me, he ain't that spectacular.
Another interesting thing about him is that even though he's on the top of the highest peak in Rio (enough to shower his holy love over every impoverished favela resident in the city) , Brasilian's aversion to all things walking and climbing has made them invest in elevators, and escalators up to the very top platform of the mountain. You do not need to take a single step.

"Oh honey, Brasil no like shitty walking....Canada people make so crazy all their walking to every place"

Out of the mouth of a master of "honey...no more walking, I soon die".

I'll whip him into shape yet!




Ah yes, the requisite self-portrait that makes the taker of the photo look like they have a goiter growing under their chin. On a positive note, I don't look too bad! Too bad we managed to chop off the big dude's head.




I like this pic because
1) there's no smog
2) I have a slightly "what the hell are you looking at?" look on my face
3) How many times do you get a picture of your head hovering over a tropical horse racing track...no too often.


With that we will leave Rio to live out its days in smoggy loveliness until my next trip down to samba land.


Now it's time to unravel some of those mysterious "things to come" morsels I left you so long ago.

I am copying this straight from my July 14 posting...let's adventuring into the not so distant past shall we?

The Princess wrote on July 14th 2007:

Highlights to include:

  • Brasilian bio-tour
Unfortunately you are going to have to wait for that one. It is up on facebook though. I will bore you with flowers some other day. Let's move onto something a bit more interesting...
  • lost in translation
I'm not too terribly sure why I wrote this. At the time I must have had some wonderfully silly and entertaining story about me not getting my point across but it escapes me now. However, in the same vain as Japan I did encounter some deliciously lovely bastardized English down there. I really wanted to take pictures of the packaging in the stores but unlike Japan, Luciano said they would not be too happy about that, probably thought I was casing the joint. You'll just have to use your imagination

1) "snob" brand toilet paper...this is the Purex of Brasil. No joke. Nothing says softness like "snob"!

2) "blowtex" brand condoms. The minute I saw them I burst out laughing. Luciano could not figure out why I thought they were so funny. This of course led to a rather interesting conversation about why it was so darn hilarious which then ended with me having to try to explain why we call it a blowjob when there is no blowing involved. I could not come up with a good answer so I fell back on that old teaching English in Japan standard "uh, just because".
  • Brasilian doctors
Are expensive and apparently really good at plastic surgery. Did you know you can get a full face lift and eye lift for 2000 bucks! Ok, ya it's cheap but I had the opportunity to visit the inside of a Brasilian hospital and I don't think I would like to be lifting nothing in there.
  • Rio
Got that one taken care of already
  • the Future
At the time I wrote this my future was still up in the air since I hadn't even taken my entrance exam thingy for UBC. I'm sure you all know now that I passed and have been rewarded (a.k.a sentenced to) 12 months of hard labour in the Teacher Factory. The future from here on in? Ah now that's another story. We are trying to get Luciano a working visa for Canada but it's slow going and even if he does make it he will probably be stationed in Fort McMurray (for all of you non-Canadians, that is about 12 hours from here and in the middle of the freaking arctic) but hey, a 4 our plane ride is hella closer than a 18 hour plane ride. We are trying our best to make the best of this situation. I am very very cautiously optimistic. That being said, if he does get the job it's probably a 2 year contract which means I may very well have to move to Northern Alberta for a year after I'm done my teaching degree...we'll deal with that road block (or more suitably - snowbank) if and when the time comes.
  • the past
Is simply that, the past....
  • the present
Oh don't you worry kiddies, the rants are boiling within me and once I'm done all this Brasil updating you will feel the wrath of my frustrations. For a little sneak peak take a look at the last post...As a added note, I would like to say that crop-top Sally is actually quite nice. I am officially recalling my bitchy catty comments...it was the madness within me rearing its ugly head. I have since beat it back into submission. I have a feeling that it has something to do with not working at Telus anymore. It's amazing how nice you get after going one whole month without someone calling you a "fucking bitch" and hanging up on you.
  • UBC
See last comment
  • and pics pics pics
Well I have pics and pics covered, you'll have to wait for the third one...
  • My Facebook addiction
Facebook steals your soul and dines on it under the moonlight. It also allows me to say hello to all my cosmopolitan friends. Let's feed our souls to the tech-devil together. I'm in love with the Dark Lord!



Well ladies and gents, that was fairly epic. More to come I promise. I have Sunday off, perhaps I will find time to entertain you with my fanciful mental meandering, perhaps I won't. Ooooh! The suspense!

Cheers from the procrastination station
J

P.S if you want something darn rooting-tooting to look at check out this site it's pretty neato
http://play.blogger.com/
It automatically streams all the pictures that are being uploaded to all the blogspot pages at that very moment. Pretty interesting to look at.

1 Comments:

Blogger shan said...

nice pics! nice entertaining update. are you getting your teaching credentials? i must email you...jenni g. and ruth have invited me onto facebook, but i have yet to jump on the bandwagon. i know grace is into it too. maybe i should succumb to the dark lord...

30 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home