Shacking up...Koh Tao Confidential Vol. 9
Greetings!
As many of you may know, I have recently moved house. My romantic plans of shacking up with Myo in a happy little love nest didn't quite work out and I found that coming home to an empty room far from where the rest of my coworkers lived and played was rather depressing. The fact that it was a 40 minute walk to work everyday and took me past Myo's work each time also didn't really work in my favour. So, luckily for me, Sofia my lovely co-receptionist was moving in with her boyfriend and offered her room at "P.Daeng's" to me. P'Daeng's is a rooming complex consisting of various multi-roomed apartments and wooden bungalows located "up the hill" from Sairee Beach. Most of Big Blue's DMTs and many DMs and other Big Blue employees live here so it's a great place to see friendly faces make plans.
My particular little corner of paradise island is nestled in the back of the lot on the second floor of a 3 story building. I have 5 other roomates who are DMTs and instructor candidates from Ireland, England and Canada. There is a shared common bathroom, kitchen, living area and balcony. It's been nice having people to come home to and everyone has been very welcoming. That being said, I am the "elder" in the apartment by I would say at least 5...more likely 10 years so I don't quite have the same expectations when it comes to cleanlines (or in this case, lack thereof) but hey, if I'm going to regress in resposibility to the point where I give up a stable, high paying job in order to become a beach bum, then hey, I can live like it's 2002 (at least in my life). When in Rome....throw your rubbish on the floor.
Some of us, looking back on the heady days of our youth might feel that we behaved more like animals than humans, at least for a few choice years, although my roomies may be in their 20s, they aren't nearly as wild as my roomies at my last place on the island:
When I first moved in I had two gecko roomies, Gary and Garth. Garth lived at the head of my bed and Gary at the foot. Shy as they were in the daytime, under the cover of darkness they used to come out for a full-on territorial smackdown on the wall at the side of my bed. I'm surprised that I managed to get any sleep amid their nightly squaking and "geeeekkooooo"ing. I also learned that they can jump quite far and that Garth was rather fond of walking in my hair during his nightly patrols. As an added bonus, if I was lucky, in the morning I would also find lovely gifts of poo around the room. Sadly, after a few weeks it was clear that Gary won the territorial showdown and Garth disappeared one day never to be seen (or heard from) again.
Since Garth and Gary had the main room pretty much monopolized, my other roomate found it much more comfortable to set up camp in the bathroom. Again, like Garth and Gary, he was more of a night owl than a day time type of guy. Guaranteed each night as I strolled in to the bathroom he'd be there waiting, all 8 hairy legs ready to rush towards me in greeting. I must admit that I preferred the company of Garth and Gary but beggars can't be choosers when in need of companionship.
Alas, with my timely vacating of the luxurious Room 202 of Tommy Apartments I have also lost the companionship of my lovely if not slightly "wild" roomies. No worries though, my current lot of cohabitants are wild at times but not nearly as loud, scary or hairy and at the time of writing, none of them have yet to leave me a gift of poo. Gary and Garth are still the only holders of that esteemed title.
Cheers from a different kind of zoo
J
As many of you may know, I have recently moved house. My romantic plans of shacking up with Myo in a happy little love nest didn't quite work out and I found that coming home to an empty room far from where the rest of my coworkers lived and played was rather depressing. The fact that it was a 40 minute walk to work everyday and took me past Myo's work each time also didn't really work in my favour. So, luckily for me, Sofia my lovely co-receptionist was moving in with her boyfriend and offered her room at "P.Daeng's" to me. P'Daeng's is a rooming complex consisting of various multi-roomed apartments and wooden bungalows located "up the hill" from Sairee Beach. Most of Big Blue's DMTs and many DMs and other Big Blue employees live here so it's a great place to see friendly faces make plans.
My particular little corner of paradise island is nestled in the back of the lot on the second floor of a 3 story building. I have 5 other roomates who are DMTs and instructor candidates from Ireland, England and Canada. There is a shared common bathroom, kitchen, living area and balcony. It's been nice having people to come home to and everyone has been very welcoming. That being said, I am the "elder" in the apartment by I would say at least 5...more likely 10 years so I don't quite have the same expectations when it comes to cleanlines (or in this case, lack thereof) but hey, if I'm going to regress in resposibility to the point where I give up a stable, high paying job in order to become a beach bum, then hey, I can live like it's 2002 (at least in my life). When in Rome....throw your rubbish on the floor.
Some of us, looking back on the heady days of our youth might feel that we behaved more like animals than humans, at least for a few choice years, although my roomies may be in their 20s, they aren't nearly as wild as my roomies at my last place on the island:
![]() |
| Meet ex-roomie #1: Gary the gecko (undisputed champion of the battle for room 202) |
When I first moved in I had two gecko roomies, Gary and Garth. Garth lived at the head of my bed and Gary at the foot. Shy as they were in the daytime, under the cover of darkness they used to come out for a full-on territorial smackdown on the wall at the side of my bed. I'm surprised that I managed to get any sleep amid their nightly squaking and "geeeekkooooo"ing. I also learned that they can jump quite far and that Garth was rather fond of walking in my hair during his nightly patrols. As an added bonus, if I was lucky, in the morning I would also find lovely gifts of poo around the room. Sadly, after a few weeks it was clear that Gary won the territorial showdown and Garth disappeared one day never to be seen (or heard from) again.
Since Garth and Gary had the main room pretty much monopolized, my other roomate found it much more comfortable to set up camp in the bathroom. Again, like Garth and Gary, he was more of a night owl than a day time type of guy. Guaranteed each night as I strolled in to the bathroom he'd be there waiting, all 8 hairy legs ready to rush towards me in greeting. I must admit that I preferred the company of Garth and Gary but beggars can't be choosers when in need of companionship.
![]() | |||
| Harold, my bathroomate |
Cheers from a different kind of zoo
J




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home