Friday, January 04, 2013

Koh Tao Confidential vol.1 - "The Best Laid Plans..."

Greetings from the Rock....and this time I mean Turtle rock not White Rock (phew!)



     I have been told time and time again (and has bestowed this tried and tested knowledge upon others) that making plans is futile because as soon as you make one things will inevitably go contrary to the way they are supposed to. So what do I go ahead and do? Make brilliant plans about how my life is going to unfold once I step off my luxurious China Southern 23 hour trans-global sojourn. So of course as the laws of nature and cosmic surety would have it, my plans decided to take a few unplanned detours.

Plan: Get off plane on 29th, enjoy day in BKK on 30th drinking beer and eating and visiting with friends, go to bed full and happy ready for my 830am flight to K.Tao

Reality: Get off plane on 29th, enjoy nice morning in BKK with Carrie and Abby and have a tasty Indian lunch with old friends....until Indian lunch inspired food poisoning kicks in.

Plan: Take 830am flight to K.Tao ready to spend New Years Eve with my boyfriend drinking buckets and dancing the night away on an island paradise

Reality: Take a cab, plane, boat and songtaew whilst suffering from "poisonmaggedon" in my intestines. Get to K.Tao and collapse into bed. Spend New Years Eve alone in my room, bucketless and danceless battling the beast in my belly.

Plan: Find cheap and fabulous longterm accommodation within plenty of time.

Reality: Arrive on K.Tao when it's busier than ever and spend 5 days frantically searching for a place to live before my 5 day hotel reservation is up. At the moment I have one more day to find somewhere to live or else it's back to BKK for me until I come back down on the 21st (after a bday party, hospital visit and Snoop Dogg concert in BKK). 

Plan: Have no problem with the throngs of bikini model-esque looking tourist girls wandering around and on more occasions than I like, throwing themselves at my boyfriend.

Reality: Battling my insecurities on a minute by minute basis. Thankfully my boyfriend isn't interested in the fire spinner groupies. I know my issues are mine and mine alone but sometimes it's still hard to look in the mirror and say "you're just as good" especially with a rather unappealing scar running down half my torso and   a comfortable cushion of xmas weight hanging around my butt. Thankfully Myo reminds me often that I'm "not fat" and seems to appreciate that I'm not a twig.
Average Joe: 1, Skinny tourist girls with perfect bodies: 0 ...kinda

I am also trying to get used to the whole "stay up until 4am and sleep until noon" thing which feels, well...wrong but it's the way things work here. My hope (I am now refusing to use the term "plan" in order to avoid their inevitable destruction) is to secure work once I return at the end of the month. I'm hoping to work at a bar slinging beers and probably doing a bit of flyering and stuff. If it works out my hours are going to be of the up all night, sleep all day persuasion so it's something I will have to get used to.  

I'll keep you updated on my evolution into a nocturnal, homeless bartender. For now I'm going to have a pre-night out nap...still working on my ability to stay up past 4am.

Cheers from a planless paradise
J


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home