Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Greetings faithful readers

Things seems to have calmed down a bit here in BKK...might be because the black shirts have managed to torch every important building in town. They have thankfully not blown up Esplanade, I am however too afraid to go there right now even if it is open.
Made it through my first government imposed curfew last night unscathed. A little cabin fevered though. I just read in the paper that the curfew is going to continue until Saturday. Ugh. Good thing I stocked up on supplies. I'm determined to use this time to get ahead in my work and be productive...although it is 12:30pm and I'm still in my pyjamas.Not a good sign...
There is only one fire burning on the horizon today. Apparently Central World has collapsed and the Big C across the street is burning now too.
It's too bad that this happened. The small group of protesters set on wreaking havoc have discredited the entire Red movement.
There are a lot of reports of city hall, banks and government buildings being burned in the northern provinces as well. Civil war does not sound like that far fetched on a idea right now. So sad.
A lot of teachers I work with have fled the city down to Phuket and some of the islands. I have decided to stay put. Might be a dumb idea, I'm not sure.
Some people have asked me why I just don't come home and leave Thailand all together. To me it's such a strange comment to make. Yes, things here are bad but this is my home. I can't just pack up and abandon my home. I think that people who don't move around a lot like me can't understand that I don't really consider Canada my home. I have practically nothing there, a few boxes in my mom's closet. I have no job, no place of my own, my friends are scattered about living their own lives. I would have absolutely nothing to come "home" to.  People also don't seem to realize that I have a place in society here. People rely on me to do my job. What would happen if every foreigner who worked here packed up and left. What good would come from abandoning my students, my colleagues, my students' parents. In many ways I think that leaving is one of the most irresponsible things I could do. So, I won't be leaving until the Canadian embassy forces me to and I don't think that's going to be happening.
My feet are firmly planted here in Thai soil and here they shall remain. :)
O.K, I'm off to try to get some work accomplished.

Cheers from the curfew zone
J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home