Thursday, June 08, 2006

Hello faithfull readers!!!

Well well well, I am happy to see that I still have people reading this!! I think that I can actually call myself an international blog superstar now, I have people reading from such exotic locales as Japan, Thailand, Spain, the UK, Germany and Canada. Wowwy! That´s special now isn`t it!!!

Anyway..the moment you´ve all been waiting for. Well actually the moment I´ve been waiting for, has finally arrived, well as of 5:30 AM tomorrow morning will be arriving. The always illusive Luciano Matos will finally be planting his Japanese immigration hating feet on Brasilian soil. FINALLY!!! I´M FREE!!!! Not that staying here alone was bad (well it was sometimes) but I am happy that I can finally begin living the life that I had intended to begin living three weeks ago. Remind me to package up that big steaming pile of dog crap and get it in the mail to the Immigration office Nagoya ASAP.

Things have been pretty much the same old, same old around here since I last posted. I wanted to keep the last post up for as long as I could so that I could feel more gratified as the number of comments increased! How so self-absorbed am I!!!
Anywho, the highlights of the past weeks are fairly minimal.

I ...

1) Saw wild parrots! 4 of them in a palm tree. There is something to be feared about birds that have the intelligence of a 4 year old. They were up there throwing palm nuts at people walking by. I swear it was fully calculated "Hey polly I´ll give you two of my sunflower seeds if you bonk that dazed looking Canadian girl on the head!!" ...BONK!!! And they laughed I swear it!

2) Picked wild avocadoes out of a tree with a big garden hoe.

3) spend 2 hours trying to fix Luciano´s mom´s broken car

4) went to innumerable ballet classes with Luciano´s daughter

5) stumbled upon where the rich people in Sao Carlos live and I´m not joking when I say these people are rich. Holy crappers batman. I first saw this area when I was driving with Luciano´s mom. My first thought was that what I was seeing was a park. That night on the phone with Luciano I told him that I had seen this park and was going on foot to check it out the following day. I explained to him where it was and he told me that he had no idea what I was talking about and to have fun exploring. Well the next day when I found it I realized that no, it wasn´t a park it was a HUGE enclosed estate. Surrounded by innumerable other estates with similar compounds. From what I could see of these houses by peeking between the electrified fences, they are enourmous and gorgeous and I wish I could go inside to see what they are all about. They have huge landscaped gardens (or in my eyes parks) and the garages are full of LandRovers. Now I think that you have to probably be here to understand the difference in wealth that exists but most people here can´t afford gas (or much else for that matter) let alone the kinds of houses and toys that these people have. It was saddening on the one hand but it was also encouraging for me to see that people can have money here (not that I believe I will be ever living in anything like that but it´s nice to know it exists).

6) Have been prepping myself for the "Cupo del Mundo" Man o man, world Cup time in brasil is almost like carnival. Just replace naked dancing girls with dancing girls dressed head to toe in Brasilian stuff. The actual tournament start tomorrow, just in time for Luciano to get here and show me how it´s done down here. I guess I gotta paint my face green and yellow and blue and get really drunk (and pretend I know something about soccer...ooops..."Futebol").

I have also been channel surfing on the TV in my hotel room. It´so funny the shows they have overdubbed here. I have seen The fact of Life, Different Strokes, Mork and Mindi and WKRP all dubbed in Protuguese. It´s pretty funny. I guess their idea of North American culture must be a little outdated. I have also seen the Simpsons overdubbed and strangely enough they have managed to match the voices almost exactly makes me wonder if the entire cast of the simpsons speak portuguese as well. Strange.

Anyway, I will be heading out to Luciano´s hacienda in the hills as of tomorrow and will be out of phone / internet/ telegram/ morris Code / smoke signal range for a while so if you check back and there are no updates, do not fear, I am merely holed up in a half built house in the middle of a forest. (did I mention that I went there today and there was no running water for some mysterious reason). Don´t give up on me my intenational crew of Blog enthusiasts, I will be back when I managed to machete my way out of the Brasilian forest back to civilization. Until then, wish me luck and thanks for reading! I have to admit that I was surprised by some of the names that showed up! Makes me feel Muito Especial!

Oh and Katharine, Congrats on the new name!!! Life is so whacky!

Mieranda: Enjoy the Rock!!! Did you ever get your postcard?

Grace: only one day left until I can start your Brasil carepackage!! Horray for cashew nuts!


Love you all
Cheers from Bean Land

J

3 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

I've been recruited to cheer for team England. I have to wear their team jersey and wear the flag as a cape. No face painting though.

Good luck with house-building, and take care!

09 June, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oo. You can add Australia to the list. I landed here a few weeks ago. Katsushi is working for IBM down here and I am off for the summer (er...winter) before going back to Ottawa for my last semester. After that, who knows.

Its Japan versus Australia on Monday. First game for both teams. It'll be bedlam, regardless of whether the Aussies lose or win. I'm insisting Katsushi spend the duration of the game in our broom closet.

- P

10 June, 2006  
Blogger shan said...

wow....your adventure sounds so fresh. wild parrots, huh? i wish you the best of luck cuz i sure as hell couldn't do what you're doing! take care, joe.

11 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home