Friday, May 26, 2006

The high and the low of it....

Brasil is a country of contradictions, monetary contridictions that is.

How can a country whose population barely scrapes by each month afford to charge 1 buck a liter for gas? Brasil has it´s own petrol company and is right next to Venezuala who has more than enough to go around. So I ask myslef, what the hell? They have cars here that run on alcohol too but still it runs at about 65 cents a litre, strange. Other things I have noticed, a 1GB MP3 player will run you like 400 bucks (keep in mind that an Ipod mini is 4GB), how can anyone afford it? Things like clothes and shoes and stuff aren´t that much cheaper than home either, a pair of run of the mill jeans will run you about 25 bucks but considering that a pair of jeans in Canada will run you about 45 it´s not that big of a difference considering the difference in income down here. On the bright side, if you are a smoker, a pack of smokes will run you a whoping 80 cents and a can of beer about 50 cents. Fruits and veggies are cheap too. I guess what it boils down to is that only the rich get fancy things. The rest of population feeds themselves and then just looks at all the fancy stuff through the windows at the shops and dreams of the day they could possibly afford such excess. Or maybe they´re dreaming of the day that they could quit spending their entire paycheck on gas and buy themselves something nice.

Cheers

P.S Mom, where are you? Are you getting my emails?
Grace: sucks ass about the box, I guess a little part of you just couldn´t leave Japan.

J

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Joe. Glad to hear you got there okay, I have been meaning to call your mom but of course Grant said you were fine.
I get to see your cousin in a couple of weeks, she is bringing the baby to work, so I am putting together a small gift for her. I am so excited to see them!
And Canadian Model starts next week, I'll let you know how it goes cause you probably don't get that on the telly down there.
Let us know when Luciano arrives, and then you can start taking pics with your replacement camera.

lots of love,
cindi

26 May, 2006  
Blogger Grace said...

Life is full of unfair paradoxes. I was just reading a newspaper story about Shanghai, where a Chanel suit will still cost you $4000 despite the fact that China's average monthly income is like $100. Makes me feel lucky to not be poor, but also very guilty that I can live so well because the corporations from my country take advantage of the poor from other nations.

Hope you're doing well. Let's see some photos soon!

28 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home