Doing things Brasilian style
A step by step guide
As always, I am here to enlighten you as to all things culturally new and interesting. Here is your step by step guide as to how to do some regular day to day tasks with a Brasilian twist.
1) Coffee Brasilian style.
First make sure that you don´t have a coffee maker and actually have no idea what an electric coffee maker might be. Boil pot of water on stove and shovel at least 3/4 of a cup of sugar (this is for the weaklings) into the pot. If you are more hardened Brasilian coffee drinker add an additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup of sugar until you water reaches the consistency of syrup. Now place handheld coffee filter device over plastic juice jug and pour "willy wonka candy water" into filter. Yell "carramba!!" several times because the steam is burning your hand and wait for coffee to filter. Now pour "coffee" into tiny cup and drink. For additional pleasure, watch Joe´s nose crinkle and eyes water because the "coffee" is so freaking sweet that she can barely down it out of politeness. Make sure that you drink said sugary "coffee" at least 15 times a day including 10 minutes before you go to bed.
2) Cleaning house Brasilian style
Put chairs on top of kitchen table then proceed to get the garden hose. Commence in hosing down the entire house (all the floors are tile here). Get "mystery cleaner" out of old recycled 2 litre pop bottle (which can be bought in said pop bottle at local store sans lable or any other distinguishing marks) and generously glob it all over the floor. Get plastic broom and scrub floor. Hose the suds out the door. Now take large Squeegee apparatus that looks like a broom but has a squeegee end on it (the hard plastic side not the spongee side) and commence in sqeegee-ing the remaining water out the door. Then put old towel on end of sqeegee and dry the floor. ...done!
3) Driving Brasilian style
Make sure that you own a cream coloured, mechanically unsound Volkswagen beattle, preferably with several missing parts such as door handles or a working spedometer. Start driving down the street ignoring all road signs, posted speed limits, etc. Do not stop for any pedestrians, stray dogs, etc. Do make sure that you stop at stop lights and stop signs and surprisingly make sure that you wear your seatbelt at all times (they´re very good and putting their seatbelts on). If driving at night, flash your brights as you blow through every intersection. Make sure to yell a lot and honk your horn continuously for no apparent reason.
4) Eating Brasilian style
Make sure that you eat a lot and often. Deep fry whenever possible and eat sickening amounts of carbohydrates. NEVER forget the beans or the MEAT MEAT MEAT. Never eat an avocado without sugar and make sure that all salads consist of only lettuce, onions and, on special occasions, tomatoes. Make sure that all dishes you make are incredibly delicious due to their high content of things that are unhealthy for you. Make sure that dinner is served on unmatching dishes and with cutlery that all has burnt handles and bent tines on all the forks. Crystalize all dishes with salt. Die of heart attack when you are 55 (but having enjoyed every moment of your culinary life).
More to come when I learn how to do other things Brasilian style.
On a different note, I think it´s about time for my "who the hell reads this anymore" survey. If you are reading please leave your name in the comments sections. It only takes a minute and I am very curious. I have a feeling my readership has fallen since my departure from J-town.
Cheers
J


17 Comments:
It's meeee! How can I NOT read this when it is a constant source or entertainment? I enjoy reading about your adventures in Brasil. You make me want to visit!
Hi Joe! It's Helen here from back in Mie. I always read your blog and have to say it's one of the most entertaining around at the moment! Good luck in Brazil!!
me and your brother read all about you all the time. cindi.
Hey Joe,
I love your blog and was often checking it while you were in Canada, so I'm happy you are back to posting regularly. Hope everything is well and your are enjoying getting to know Brazil.
Pamela, Ise, Japan
Hi Joe,
This is Mariko&Saran. We are always having fun reading your blog so as my mom.
I'm in Bangkok, working a bit here. Getting used to the weather here more and more. How is the weather over there?
Hahahaha that was soo funny. I giggled, and I'm in the office.
I read your blog, don't worry.
Updates on me: tomoya and I are putting in our papers on July 1st, so I'll be Katharine Tamaki in a month. Kinda scary!
Hey Lady,
I await the day i can hear your world in words. I miss you tons already. I have to say when you were in Japan i blanked all the wonderful early years, but just like the rain, it all flooded back at a peek of you. I hope you have the chance to own a creamy colored bug at some point of your adventure. I love you babe ebe
Hey Joe,
Aileen here. Have to say I rarely read your blog when you were here in Mie, but now I'm loving all the stories of BraSil.
Keep writing and I'll keep reading!
Sorry just re-read what I wrote and it sounded bad! I wasn't implying that your blog was shite before, It's just that I've got really into it now! :) It's great hearing about somewhere else in the world. Good luck - hope all goes well.
aww... how could i not read your blog? i finally have a friend that can relate to the oily fried meaty beany salty mess they call food! i've been here almost 2 years and i'm still learning. did you know that eating eggs with coffee is totally disgusting? eggs can only be accompanied by beer or, in rare cases, vermouth. silly me!
miss you tons. can't wait to see some pictures!
:)brooms
Hi, this is Fiona from Mie, to be honest I had stopped reading, but Helen told me I should read your bolg again and she was right ;)
Gday Joe, Sam here, also Mie. See, the grapevine works - Helen told Fiona who told me... Loving the stories of Brrrasil, when you're at your desk in deepest darkest Yokkaichi they're a thrill-a-minute. Ganbare!
Joe. i want to visit you in brazil. i will save up my money so i can buy peanut butter, then i will proceed to eat the peanut butter with chop sticks. When the jar is empty, I shall scrub it clean and prepare a label reading "Brazilian Booty Bonanza". When the jar is full of dirty money, I shall fly down in a cargo plane. I will marry a drug lord and forever live a life full of drugs, money and guns. Alas! To the store for peanut butter!
Hi Joe,
You can add Australia to your readership continents!
Lauren
Outta Owase
Living in Tropical Cairns
You rock my casbah
Peter
you can add me, representing the bay in good ol' cali.
Your (mis)adventures keep me sane at work.
Post a Comment
<< Home