Friday, May 05, 2006

The view from the beach in my home town of White Rock

OH CANADA

Well here I am back in Canada for 3 weeks and I haven't published a single post. For those of you who just let out a gasp, no worries, yes, I am still going to Brazil. I'm just on a pre-Brazilian visit home. I'll be leaving for the land of BBQ and samba on May 19th. Luciano is still slaving away in Japan until then so I decided to come home and tie up the 4000 loose ends I left when I first went to Japan and to see my friends and family for what will probably be the last time for a very long time.

I have to admit that I was very worried about the prospect of spending 6 weeks in Canada. I was afraid that I would fall in love with home and not want to go to Brasil or that I would see all the potential for things that I could achieve here and second guess my decision to move to a not-so-easy place to live. But happily, it has been the complete opposite. What I came back to is nothing like what I left. My friends are mostly gone on their own cross global jaunts or cross contry educational forrays. Those who have stayed now own houses, have babies, are married, have REAL jobs etc... The vibe that I associate with Vancouver no longer exists. I left when I was 23, lived in a giant house that was dubbed "the Green Stripe Party Center" and spent most of my time slaving over university papers and then rewarding myself with a 40 of gin (as did all my friends). Unfortunately those things just don't happen anymore. It's not a bad thing I mean everyone must grow up but being in Japan for almost three years, I missed out on the transistion period and my mind still associates Vancouver with my life circa 3 years ago.

So, in short, I'm bored. Bored out of my mind. I am so bored in fact that I went back to work 1 week after I got home for an old friend's mother. How many vacations end in you saying "fuck I'm so bored, maybe I should get a job". Not very many. So anyway, I am just counting down the days until I can get out of here and finally start my new life in sunny Brazil.

Although it has been boring there have been some cool things that have happened since I got home.

1) One of my best friends had a baby the day after I got home
2) I have been able to spend three weeks with my sister who I haven't seen in almost 10 years
3) Family reunion
4) My dad retired and had a big ass party at which he presented me and my sister with a free 40 of gin to "occupy" ourselves with.
5) I cleaned out my storage locker ...Now this deserves a post all to itself.
6) My cousin had a baby
7)I've been working out at the gym 6 days a week (with minimal results except for curing my never ending boredom)
8) I dropped my brand new super cool camera in the toilet and broke it...thank god Luciano is still in Japan and can pick me up a new one before he leaves. (I also have a back up camera here as well).
9) I attempted to drive and spent most of the time on the wrong side of the road and decided to take the bus from that point on.

Ya so that's pretty much it. The last three weeks in a nutshell. My mom's computer doesn't have picassa so it's hard to post pics with this stupid Blogger photo poster thingy. Sorry!!

Cheers

J

1 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

I love the whole snowy mountains in the background, lovely summer beach in the foregrount thing!

08 May, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home