Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Blood in the streets it's up to my ankles....well not quite.

                       

So the blood has been spilled and has just as quickly been cleaned up.

                                

In the end I don't think they got as much blood as they had hoped for, UDD leaders are saying 300,000ccs but I guess that's enough to make a big gross mess of the steps of the governement house.

A lot of people have questioned and criticized the Reds' decision to do this. There have been those who have said (ignorantly) that they are putting the public at risk of contracting HIV by doing this. If they would do a little research they would find the HIV pretty much dies as soon as it has any amount of prologued contact with air. So unless they plan on getting naked and rolling around in the blood with open wounds, I think the public is safe. 

I think what people really should be talking about is the following:
1) in a bid to remain non-violent the Reds have drawn their own blood and spilt it in a ritual. There were priests on hand to perform rights and rituals as this was being done. 
2) the public was not even allowed near the site (which the Reds made public knowledge...this wasn't a secret attack)
3) most importantly though...people need to question why it is that people feel the need to do this. This country is teetering of the brink because the rich elite and the king are supporting an non-elected "government". Hmmm lets think of some other countries that have non-elected governments  - Myanmar, China, Libya, North Korea - all lovely places to live a "free" and happy life. Especially if you're a member of the rural poor.

I'm not even sure why this is even an issue. The current government was not elected by the people. A vast majority of the people want an election. The Prime Minister is refusing to step down. This is not a military state. Why is this happening? More importantly why are the Reds being vilified for demanding what should be a basic right: the right to decide who rules over their lives? The things I have heard people say about the Reds over the last week has made me sick to my stomach. For some reason the rich of this country seem to think that those who have less are somehow less intelligent. There has even been discussions about having the rural population's vote count for less than those in urban centers (well in the case of Thailand...urban centre - namely Bangkok).

I ask you this: if in the next American election it was proposed that the Black and Hispanic vote should count for less because they are disadvantaged and therefore too ignorant to properly understand who to vote for, would the entire world not be crying injustice?

I can't help but cry for the injustice I am seeing here. Thailand is once again the perfect example of how money really does make the world go around. The rich will always dictate how the poor live their lives even if for ever wealthy person there are 10 rural poor fighting back.

I in no way intend this to be a defence of Thaksin. I don't know enough about him to support him and from what I can gather he was corrupt. Perhaps he did not start that way but as human weakness usually dictates, money corrupts and it's pretty clear that he was not immune. I don't support his reinstatement. What I DO support is a country's population's right to elect their leader fairly and democratically.

Nietzche has a theory in which humanity was meant to relive it's mistakes in a cycle of eternal return, forever making the same blunders time and time again. Accident after accident. Each time we relived the same mistake it is given more authority, becomes more real, more tangible. How many times have we seen ourselves in this same situation. When will we learn?

I respect the Reds' pact of non-violence but there is that part of me that understands that pacifism will accomplish little. Luciano used to preach that in order for a revolution to take place, blood needs to be shed (and not from donation vials). There is no other alternative. I am beginning to feel that he was right.

Cheers from the breaking point
J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home