Sunday, April 03, 2005

Living in Japan presents problems that don't often occur back home. We're all here stuck in these tiny little social circles of English speakers that live in our given areas. And as is prone to happen when a group of strangers is forced together, these circles become microcosms. Reflections of society but on a much smaller scale. They're full of all the different kinds of people that you would expect to encounter in the "real world" but unfortunately here, unlike in the real world, when you encounter people that you don't like or don't respect, you can't escape them. For to escape them means that you must step out of the microcosm. Social castration. At home you can just distance yourself from those you don't like. Because you are free to wander around and make friends with whomever, those who fail to impress you have no permission to step into your life. Here that isn't the case. There isn't so much freedom to choose since there are only a given number of individuals who speak your language. The less desirables exist within the four walls of the "foreigner community" whether you would like them to or not. And hence you are forced to come face to face with people and situations that at home you would just avoid.

I've never been one for subtlety. Never been one to keep my mouth shut when someone blatantly attacks my character or tries to sabotage my life or my relationships with others. Back home I would just sit whoever it was down, tell them what I thought of them and then tell them to take a hike. I had the social pull back home to do that. I knew that my friends would stand behind me no matter what and if my friends didn't agree with my opinion of that individual they would carry on being friends with them in their own time.

Problem solved, no hard feelings, we all move on and the world keeps on revolving. Here, not the case. These tiny comunities are so electrified all the time that one bad move and it erupts. They exist in such a delicate balance that even the whisper of discontent can spoil the pot.

So what should I do when confronted with such an individual. Someone who lies to boost themselves up regardless of how it effects anyone else. How does someone as outspoken as me keep their mouth shut. I'm not willing to comit social suicide over stories and lies concocted by an immature, sad individual with a black heart and a self serving agenda. But at the same time I feel that I can't sit back and watch this person sabotage my relationship with someone I hold dear and respect a great degree. Compulsive liars get very very good at what they do and are able to convince even the most open minded person that the impossible is true.

So I'm stuck with an impossible situation. Confront the coward spreading lies and risk ejection from the circle or sit back and watch the soup slowly spoil. Perhaps this whole thing will be more of a test of my friends than of myself. Who believes who, who knows me well enough see the wolf in sheeps clothing.

Of course with all things, it only takes a while before the beast can't help but bear it's claws and when it does everyone will see this person for who they really are and things will get back to normal in the tiny town of Shiroko. But until then I think I better go out and buy a muzzle to keep my mouth shut.

I'm not sure if this is a lesson in maturity or self-censorship for me. I guess we'll see how dirty I feel when it's all over.

4 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Joe, I admire you for your straightfowardness and levelheadedness. Hopefully, everyone else will see that as well. Be true to yourself and stick by what you believe is the right thing to do. I think we all spend a little too much time in Japan walking on eggshells and trying not to hurt peoples' feelings. If they're immature enough or self-centered enough to take any constructive criticism to heart, then it's about time they had a lesson in reality: life is not easy. You live a little, you grow a little, and you learn that the world does not revolve around you. And you know what? It may suck now, but the faster that the offending party learns this, the better their own lives will turn out.

03 April, 2005  
Blogger Grace said...

Whew, got a little worked up there! Typo: If they're immature enough or self-centered enough to NOT take any constructive criticism to heart...

03 April, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

03 April, 2005  
Blogger Princess Inaka said...

Nicki-chan,
Gomen about the deletion...gotta keep identities under wraps babydoll. No use in keeping my mouth shut if everyone knows who is the cause of the problem desu ne?
But I took every word you said to heart
looking ahead....
said individual is eating my dust...

04 April, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home