Kids these days!!!
There are many pros and cons that come along with my daily dip in the hormonoal hallways of a secondary school. Some more serious than others. Teenagers in general are hilarious (whether they want to be or not) and never cease to amaze me with their absolutely disgraceful taste in music and fashion. Luckily I work at a school with uniforms so I don't have to spend my time asking myself "how does he walk with his pants so low?" or "is showing your thong really a fashion statement these days?" Which has helped me to somewhat avoid the slow realization that I'm turning into one of those old people who are "lame" and "out of touch" with today's youth. However, uniform or not, there is nothing that can stop the music. Ahhh the anthems of youth! The voice of a generation! The soapbox of youthful rebellion! Back home in Canada youthful rebellion is often draped in black eyeliner and ripped hoodies or hot pants and bra tops but not here in Asia. In Bangkok (along with Japan, Korea, HK, China etc etc.) the tunes of teenaged rebellion come wrapped in this package:

No this is not the centerfold in this week's edition of Bangkok OUT --This is Super Junior. The Korean boy band that makes the hearts of teenaged girls melt (and I'm going to have to ask my gay friends in town because I can't believe that this Asian Village People copy doesn't get their blood flowing). According to teenaged girls at my school they are the picture of "hot" and I swear most girls at my school would give pretty much anything to be in the company of these troubadours of masculinity.
Let's take a closer look shall we:
Specimen #1 (Mr. Sensitivity)

Man-o-meter: hmmmmm where does one even begin? I guess he's working the naughty boy hidden under the creamy white angel exterior angle? His look and accompanying gesture say "don't worry honey, I may not be able to fight off an attacker with my bare hands but I will lull him to sleep with my toffee vocals and lyrics of love"
Specimen #2 (Spitball McPorcelain)

Well this one's interesting. He seems to have a rebellious streak. Is he blowing a kiss or is that a spitball? Perhaps he's blowing in his hand to warm himself up because he's shaved off all his body hair and is now freezing in the cold Seoul winter.
Specimen #3 (Captain Icey)

When attempting to reach maximum masculine throttle, make sure to always carry some type of pseudo military looking hat to go with your (pearl?) bracelet. This fine young gentlemen has also decided to rock the "What are you talking about?? I'm totally Arian" look. The blond locks are a winner with the ladies every time!
Specimen # 4 (the underdog)

Clearly this member was recruited for appeal to the "I like the cute sweet guy who isn't handsome enough to date the cheerleader" crowd. I can identify. When I was a kid I liked Danny from the New Kids because I felt sorry for him because he was uglier than the other guys

But he still got his own puzzle so it was all OK.
Specimen # 5 (The Rebel)

By the Power of GreySkull!!!
Skull ring...don't mess...
'nuff said.
Specimen # 6 (The Street Cred)

This guy must be the "rapper" of the group. Every boy band song needs a rap intermission. How else are all the girls who go to the Liquid Danze classes at my gym going to show off their dance moves? It is VERY clear that this guy has Crunked his way straight 'outta da ghetto.
Specimen #7 (the Ringleader)

This guy seems to have leadership qualities so I will peg him as the leader of this band of motley men. Kuddos to him for finding a pose that shows off his new manicure.
I was speaking to my class today about gender as a social construct (which they all vehemently denied was even remotely possible). Perhaps I should bring in these pictures and try again..
Cheers from the men's room
J


3 Comments:
LOL.... just LOL.
That thing about Danny from New Kids was really funny. I still liked Joey, screw pity fandom! ;)
BAhahaha. Loved all of it, but I have to say what I was the most pleased to hear was that you were talking to your kids about gender as a social construct.
fukin MARRY ME ALREADY!!
How can I marry you when I don't know who you are!!! Although that does make it more exciting! Ok! Let's get married anonymous reader.I'm game for pretty much anything ;)
see you at city hall, 1pm tomorrow.
Post a Comment
<< Home