Friday, August 05, 2011

HELLLOOOOO BLOGOPHERE!!!

So once again I am trying to rise, groggily and bleary eyed from blog hybernation. Life tends to sweep us away and we lose sight of what makes us who we are at times. This past year I have become burried in work and stress and things that most certainly do not make me who I am. So I will say once again, my goal for this year is to reacquaint myself with blogging and reacquaint all of you with me and my whacky adventures overseas.
It's funny how the unusual becomes commonplace when living abroad, especially in places like Asia. I often forget that the most mundane of Thai moments is actually quite entertaining for the rest of you. I will attempt to keep you entertained for the next academic year. I promise.

So anyway, below this post you will find my Bali Summer Trip 2011 chronicle - or at least up until Ubud. I was staying in towns that were devoid of the modern convenience of wifi so I saved my posts and have put them up for you now. Read and hopefully enjoy getting reacquainted with the Princess.

Just a quick recap of the last few days of my trip:

After my one garish evening in Ubud I moved to Sanur for 3 days of diving with Blue Season Bali, hunting for the elusive Mola Mola sunfish. This was the trip that I booked last year and had to cancel beause of an ear infection. Luckily thanks to my super dorky earcup mask I made it through this trip ear problem free and was able to finally get under the waves at Nusa Penida and boy was it worth the wait!!!
9 dives over three days brought me face to face with manta rays (sometimes 6 at a time), seas of fish, turtles and yes! yes! a very close encounter with a 2 meter sunfish. Once again this is dorky diving stuff that my non-diving friends would not be interested in so I'll spare them. For those of you who know diving - ya, that's right...MOLA freaking MOLA. So close that I could have reached out and touched it. Unfortunately we found it at 26 meters 3/4 of the way into our dive so oxygen levels and no decompression limits were against us but we still got to spend a good 8-10 mins in its presence. Bliss!

The funny thing about my dive safari in Nusa Penida was that I spent almost the entire 3 days completely in Japanese. The other woman who was on the safari was Japanese and my dive guide was fluent so we ended up pretty much conducting ourselves completely in Japanese. I'm sure the other people on the boat didn't know what to think of a Canadian, a Balinese and a Japanese lady conducting dive briefings and safety checks all in Japanese but it worked. Proved I still got it too!

Anyway, after Sanur I spent one day gassing off in Seminyak before flying home and back to reality and that is where I am now, waiting for Carrie to have her baby (any day now!!!) and the inevitable start of the academic year...sigh. Oh and I am also moving...big move, 3 doors down the hallway! I'm moving out on my own into a small studio apartment which means a bit more money in the savings account which will help me on my next big adventure....

I've decided that I will be quitting my current job at the end of this academic year and am going to try my hand at living the life of dive bum in Bali. I know it's a crazy decision but this trip has only reinforced the fact that this is what I NEED to do. Nothing makes me feel like diving does. Why should I spend my days on land wishing I was underwater when I could be living my dream. Yes, it's probably financial suicide but sometimes we need to follow our hearts before our pocketbooks. Each time I go to Bali I don't want to come home and I spend my days calling Bali my "second home". I have now come to the realization that I should just make the move to call it my "first home". It's a risk, it's an adventure, it's a bit crazy...it's utterly me!!!

So this is going to be my last year in Thailand, perhaps not forever but at least for the near future. Now all I have to do is figure out how I'm going to make this work...but don't get me wrong, I WILL make it work.

Ok, happy readings of my travels around Bali and I will be posting again soon.


Because these posts go up from oldest to newest, you need to scroll down to the first post of my trip and read upwards in order for it make sense. Just a tip to enhance your reading pleasure! As if it could be enhanced any more!!!!

Cheers from the rebirth
J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home