Tuesday, December 07, 2004

In Japan, in the middle of December, pleasant moments tend to be few. It's cold, it's dark, and neither of these appear to have effected my students in a possitive fashion whatsover. As thier lips turn blue from the cold, so do thier souls and the evil seeps out of thier every dissolusioned, delinquent pores.
I spent the day in a most Japan-in-winter fashion. First I got up and ran through my ice cold house (the reading on the thermo IN my house was 5 degrees) and turned on my Kerosene heater so that by the time I emerged from my shower my kitchen was nice and warm but slightly noxious.
I then bundled up and rode my bike in the freezing cold to my freezing-cold-devoid-of-heating school where I conducted two hours of 10th grade reading tests in the hallways where I could see my students' breath as they spoke to me.
Then I ate my pre-ordered "teshoku" lunch that consisted of fried fish, full of eggs with the heads still attached followed by two hours of hell with 70 evil to the core 9th graders with A.D.D...Oh and I also peed on my shoe while attemping to use a squat toilet in a hurry because my ass was freezing solid.
But every cloud has a silver linning, even if it's small. Today I had one of those moments, it was small, yes insignificant, but it put a smile on my face.

Everyone has a pair of underwear that hides at the back of thier underwear drawer. That pair that you use only when there is no other option. You wake up, realize that every pair of underwear you own is in the wash or hanging out on the line frozen stiff in the cold winter air for yet ANOTHER day. So, with no other place to turn you scuttle into your "last resort shorts" only to spend the rest of the day squirming in your seat attempting to dislodge the wedgy that you knew you'd be in an all day battle royal with from the moment you slapped those babies on. But today...today something happened. My "last resort shorts" were turned on thier head...almost literally. In the fervour of trying to dress before my ass cheeks turned blue I put on my "oh no not those" underwear on backwards....but I soon found out that "backwards" was actually "forwards"!!!
Oh my god!!! That's why they were so uncomfortable! I have been wearing them backwards for a year! It's like getting a whole new pair of underwear! A special winter gift just for me! I have had a smile on my face ever since!
Ahhh yes, those special moments are few and fleeting here in the Japanese winter, but damn they feel good...almost as good as my ass feels in these "new" jockeys.
I'm going to go enjoy my reborn undies now.
matta ne!
(see ya later)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home