Friday, August 27, 2004

Just returned from a fabulous 2 night, 3 day cruise on Halong Bay in Northern Vietnam. Swimming, lounging on the deck, napping under the stars, trecking and ocean kayaking. It was amazing and gave me a well needed break from the insanity of downtown Hanoi. Me and mom hooked up on the tour with 10 other people and had a great time. Our guide was great, the food was delicious, the weather was fantastic except for one torential downpour but most importantly the company was superb.

Lesson learned...

1) Kiwis rock the party.
There was a group of 5 New Zealanders on the boat and I have to say that they were the nicest group of people I have met in ages. I've heard a million times over that Kiwis are the Canadians of Oceania. I now understand what everyone is talking about. These guys (and one fabulous lady) were sweet as candy. I now know that my lot in life is to move to New Zealand and marry a nice sheep farmer, maybe I can find one for mom too.

2) Dutch people also rock the party
There was a fabulous Dutch couple who now live in Korea on the boat as well. They were as great as the Kiwis but had a much tougher sounding accent and thier country makes better cheese and better weed and better beer... although New Zealand makes better sheep and they are goofier...I guess that makes them equal. On the Joe Zeiler "world's nicest people'' index New Zealand and the Netherlands are number 1.

3) Gin and Tonic is a cross cultural drink of Champions
Whether you are the #1 weed grower, the #1 sheep shearer, or the #1 Maple syrup tapper, Gin and Tonic is the tie that binds. Many an inter-continental bonding moment was shared over a well made glass of G&T over those 3 days. Perhaps it is the true cure all to intercontinental strife. I think I've stumbled onto something great here. We should sit all the world's leaders down together and give them a giant bottle of Gin and a fountain of tonic and watch as the world vanishes into a peaceful haze. Walls would come down, bridges would be built and for sure there would be a little cross cultural hanky panky going down in the back room of the Hague...or maybe the janitors closet. Or we could be more sneaking and just set a big punch bowl down on the table and call it "peace punch" and after they've all had a few glasses they won't know what hit 'em.
...yes, note to self, create peace punch.

4) Communism = no fun
After we got back from the tour we all decided that we all got along much too well and that we should continue the festivies on the mean streets of Hanoi. So away we went, money in our wallets and G&T on the menu. However, our plans for an all night gin fest were quickly spoiled when old Uncle Ho's Communist regime's midnite curfew kicked in. Yes that's right, this country shuts down at midnite so that all the good little communists get to bed on time and are up bright an early to work their asses off for the betterment of Vietnam and a measely 2 bucks a day.

Lessons to live by I tell ya.

I am supposed to be leaving Vietnam in two days but there is a bit of a hiccup in the plans called "super typhoon Chaba" at least that's what they are calling it on the BBC world news. It's supposed to hit near Taipei on the same day as I fly in and yes, even more conveniently, fly into japan on the same day as me as well. So I have a sinking feeling that I'm gonna get stuck somewhere whether it be Taipei or Vietnam. I guess we'll have to wait and see. As nice as an extended vacation sounds I would really like to get home and wash my clothes and start living out of a drawer rather than a stinky backpack. Speaking of backpacks, upon returning to Hanoi from Halong I discovered that rats had eaten a hole the size of my fist right through my pack in storage at our hotel and when I picked up my bag the hole was still all wet with goopy rat drool. I managed to get it fixed though at some tailor shop run by a kooky Vietnamese guy who kept on saying..."oh very good job!!!" over and over. Got my pack fixed and I got some free entertainment.

that's it for now. Not feeling poetic. I must need to find a muse or something. Maybe one of the crusty cyclo drivers outside the hotel will do. I think I saw one with 4 fingers and 2 teeth today, I should see if he can inspire me.

Stay tuned.

J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home