Saturday, August 07, 2004

Hey, are you a movie star? Do you want to come for a ride on my motorcycle?
The first words I hear when I step out of my hotel in Saigon/Ho chi Mihn. My answer...uh, no.

Take 5000 motorcycles (all of which are carrying families of 4), then remove all road rules,sense of direction, speed limits, road signs, stop signs and common sense and you might have something slightly similar to the streets of Saigon. The travel guide says that most dangerous thing you can do in Saigon is try to cross the street...they aren't lying. I wonder what they do for road tests in this country. God, do they even have them? So instead of taxis they have motorbike taxis which are just random Vietnamese dudes desperate for some cash and the soft carress of some foreign arms around their waists. I didn't indulge yesterday but I think that before I leave Saigon I'm gonna take a chance and hit the road Vietnamese style.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home