Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Too lazy to spellchcck...sorry

Hello all

Long time no blog. Well we made if back to Vietnam after the day from Transportation hell. We started our last day in Cambodia on the backs of our faithfull drivers' motorbikes, no problems there. They took us to this floating village on the Siem Reap river that was very cool but in order to really check out the village we had to take a boat tour (floating village...boat required). We this "boat" was something else, picture a sinking raft with 4 school desk chairs lined up on the roting deck (which only just barely floated above the electric eel/crocodile infested water line). We didn't end up sinking but there were a few times where I thought we were gonners for sure.
The village ended up being really cool. Just another cool thing on the list of many in Cambodia. I have totally fallen in love with the place and I am pretty sure than when I am done in Japan I will move there to teach for a while, maybe like 6 months or something. It definetly wouldn't be for the money though, I looked into an english school there and they charge about 12 cents USD an hour for conversation classes so that means I would probably be making about 7-10 cents an hour. But I don't really care. Cambodia is cheap to live in, it's really is the world's biggest dollar store, everything is a dollar. EVERYTHING. You can rent a 5 bedroom, 3 bath house for about 500 a month so I am going to see if I can round up some troups to go with me. It is amazing over there, now I know why Angelina Jolie built a house there, ahhh Angelina, hot and smart!

So anyway, we end our day in Cambodia by being dropped off at the airport. Where we boarded to world's scariest airplane. Two propellors, seats bolted into the floor, run by Vietnam air (probably not the most safety conscious of airlines, (peter man, this made EVA look like the creme de la creme) no joke I was so fucking terrified that I had tears in my eyes during take off and for a good portion of the hour 10 minutes back to Ho Chi Mihn. From now on I take planes where to propellors are not visible out the window.

Back at HCMC we manage to blast through customs even though upon leaving for Cambodia the customs agent put the wrong stamp on mom's passport (hence cancelling her visa) then tired to fix it using white out all the while saying "no problem"...we were worried. So I made sure to go though the customs booth first and flirt with the agent so that by the time mom got there the agent was saying "ohhh beautiful daughter" and asking if he could keep my passport photo as a souvenir. A few more eyelash bats and we were home free. Hopped on the back of two suicidal motorcycle caps and FLEW through the streets of HCMC barely able to keep my nickers unsoiled and my ass on the seat.

We booked a bus ticket from HCMC to Dalat in the south central highlands for a whopping 6 dollars (including hotel pickup) and the next mornign we were off on our 7 hour bus journey. It was pretty enjoyable and cheap as shit.

Dalat is the honeymoon capital of Vietnam and is about the cheesiest kitsch palace you could ever imagine. All they sell is ugly kitschy stuff and you can rent paddle boats made to look like swans to go around the lake in. But Dalat is also home to the infamous "easy riders" who are a group of freelance motorcycle guides who ride around on old Minks motorbikes and take you around on a cool guided tour. We hired two named Buddha and Dan. They took us out for the day and showed us all sorts of cool stuff. you can hire these guys for days if you want and they take you all the way to Hanoi if you want them too. We would have loved to have them take us to our next stop in Vietnam but it would take too long. So tommorow morning we are taking a 7am bus to Nha Trang (a nice beach resort town) where we will spend about 7 hours) and then a 12 hour night bus to Hoi An where they make clothes for dirt cheap and they have a lot of old French colonial architecture. The cost for this whole journey? 11 dollars. We save a night's hotel and we get half way across Vietnam. We will probably take another night bus from Hue to Hanoi as well. I think it cost about 5 bucks...insane.

well I should go
Life in Vietnam is good.

Thinking of you all

Joe ... oh wait, my poem...hmmm let me think...

Death
The murky waters
of Siem Reap River lapping at my feet
The scream of propellers, bolts coming unfastened
A tear is shed in silence.
ooohhh intense!
bye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home