Monday, August 02, 2004

And so it began....
Ya ok, so I'm not some crazy HTML super freak and I can't 00111011011 my way to bloggy greatness but this little, low tech "honey don't forget to churn the butter before you slop the pigs" throwback to computer past of a blog will have to do. It ain't flashy, but it'll do...until I tap into my computer super powers and become some kind of all star HTML wonder woman that is...don't hold you breath.It's slightly difficult to start one's "let's be rocking down in J-town" memoirs a full year and 4 days into the party so I figure I will just start as if today is the first day of the rest of my life...well I guess it kinda is. If you don't know what I've been up to for the past year, just close your eyes and use your imagination. Think bugs and beers, Karaoke and kendo, raw fish and Japanese junior high school students and love (actually, make that infatuation/lust/intrigue) and Scots and Irishmen/ladies, Brits and Americans and Jamaicans and short Peruvians that teach you how to shake your ass, Philipinoes who make wicked coconut pudding, Australians who let you beat them with a futon swater in their underwear or who knock their teeth out while trying to do a back flip during an impromptu strip tease, travel and race cars and hand bags and rock and roll shoes and a never ending stream of incomprehensible blather on the parts of everyone around me. Yes, welcome to my life. In the land of the rising sun, the rising temperature, the rising calorie count, the rising level of confusion/bliss.ahhh bliss....for the moment it's bliss.They say when you're writting your supposed to have a goal in mind, A-->B--->C--->D--> conclusion. For today's entry, this is not the case, I'm just going to ramble on and blather away until my the faucet sticking out the side of my head slows from a steady stream to a trickle to a drip. Then I'll turn it off and let you be. And you can run back to your fabulous little western coffee shop and drink a latte without ever thinking about the less fortunate people in the world who have to ride thier granny bikes (basket and little bell included) 20km to the closest Starbucks...For those of you in J-town..I know you can sympathize. Maybe I should have a theme for today...hmmm what could it be? How about...change...ya change. July is supercalafragialisticexpealachangy time here in Japan. People leave, people arrive, friends are made and freinds are lost to the greater good (i.e the reality of the western world).I lost my best freind in Japan this July. Fabulous Jen-chan of Winnipeg...THE PEG that is, had taken her fabulous rock hard ass and rock hard attitude up to Tokyo to live the neon dream. I don't blame her, her school was less than stellar, her rock and roll superstar alter-ego begged for something bigger and better. So she left and I am a bit worse for wear but will survive. That's the problem with Japan. You can rock it out stellar style for a while but then the real transitory nature of the place becomes apparent. It's a sack in the balls but I guess it's builds character. Ya, character is the shit yo....I gots me some of that shit. On the up side, a hole should never be left unfilled or someone might trip and fall in while stumbling home from an Izakaya after too many shots of spiritus, this would be a messy situation that noone would enjoy (metaphorically speaking of course).So the gaps are being filled as we speak. Newbies, freshies, unspoiled meat...streaming in from around the globe. Wide eyed and oblivious to what this place is really all about...me a year ago.I recently spent a week in Tokyo welcoming about 1500 of them to Japan. It was a crazy, they were crazy. I got to give lectures about how to ward off greasy old salary men from grabbing your boobs on the subway and what not to do when you encounter a 6" poisonous centipede in your bathroom. A vertiable fountain of knowledge I am...Then I piled 30 of them onto a train and hauled them all back to fabulous Mie, their new home away from home. What did I leave in tokyo? A lot of money. Some new and unexpected friends, an intense emotional moment...the usual. What was I coming home to? A whole new year of crazy unexpected shit, a new English teacher in my town, More Japanese lessons and conversation classes, more kendo practices and perhaps the remnants of something started in Tokyo but never really finished, memories of bleary eyes and late night meetings on darkened hotel floors. Cryptic.yes.intentional.soo soo sooo desu.As they say in Tokyo..."and that's where the line 'the bitch set me up' came from" that's right baby..."c'mon sandwich me"end of the incomprehensible for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home