In Vietnam I'm a freak. I am perhaps the freakiest person these people have ever seen. I've had all this metal in my face for so long that when I look in the mirror i don't even see it. The only time I notice it is when it's not there, having been taken out for school or whatever other function that I have to masquerade as a good little girl for.
So, when I left for Vietnam I didn't even think of the effect that it would have here. The only thing that crossed my mind was "sweet I don't have to take 'em out for a whole month!" but the minute I stepped off the plane and into the Vietnam international airport I realized that there was something very interesting about me. I'm not joking when I say that EVERYONE stares at me. They call thier friends over to stare at me too or to take my picture. Even the customs officer at the airport couldn't help but stare and make wierd gestures to his buddies while pinching his lip or his eyebrow. I don't know, it was just a surprise to me. Everyone enjoys being the centre of attention for while but not all the time and I am starting to get a little annoyed already and it's only been 2 days. If this the reaction I'm getting in the biggest city in Vietnam I can only imagine what it's gonna be like up in the mountains or in the jungles of Cambodia. Oh well. Comes with the territory I guess.
Moving along....
I had a 7 year old Vietnamese boy slap my ass yesterday. He was a cheeky little guy with impecable English who was so darn cute that he managed to scam me and my mom into buying postcards out of his little satchel of goodies and then just as we were walking away he wips out and slaps my ass! And gives me this "yeah baby, you know you like it" look. He was also wearing his school uniform. Ahh the story of my life, the only person who slaps my ass is a 7 year old homeless boy. Oh well. gotta take what you can get.
First traditional vietnamese dinning experience...open the menu only to find "broiled fellopian tubes with onions" and "crispy fried fellopian tubes" on the menu. How do you like your fellopian tubes? Softly broiled with onions or do you like them with a bit of crunch? If so please try our crispy fried fellopian tubes. I took a photo of the menu. Too good to pass up. I wonder what animal said fellopian tubes came from. Needless to say, me and mom passed on the fellopians and opted for shrimp. It was tasty and no fellopians were harmed in the making of our meal.
Today we are going to Cholong, the world's biggest chinatown. We are taking motorcylcle taxis...dear god, hopefully we make it in one peice and my driver doesn't spring a big boner while my arms are wrapped around him.
Oh speaking of motorcycles we say a guy wipe out on his in the Veitnemese equivalent of the etoile around the Arch the Triomph in Paris. Total chaos, cars and motorbikes and the whole deal all over the place. This guy bails and is lying in the middle of the road amidst 10 lanes of chaos and NO ONE stops. They merely ride around him like he is nothing more than an obstacle. He pretty much just lied there in the middle of the road until he got his wits about him (maybe 5 or 6 minutes) managed to hobble to his feet, hop on his bike and take off. It was absolutely fucked. No one stopped, no one even seemed to care. No one even really seemed to notice except a cyclo driver on the side of the road to saw me and mom looking very concerned on the side of the road and said "no problem" and kept on walking.
weird....
end of mindless blather part 6
So, when I left for Vietnam I didn't even think of the effect that it would have here. The only thing that crossed my mind was "sweet I don't have to take 'em out for a whole month!" but the minute I stepped off the plane and into the Vietnam international airport I realized that there was something very interesting about me. I'm not joking when I say that EVERYONE stares at me. They call thier friends over to stare at me too or to take my picture. Even the customs officer at the airport couldn't help but stare and make wierd gestures to his buddies while pinching his lip or his eyebrow. I don't know, it was just a surprise to me. Everyone enjoys being the centre of attention for while but not all the time and I am starting to get a little annoyed already and it's only been 2 days. If this the reaction I'm getting in the biggest city in Vietnam I can only imagine what it's gonna be like up in the mountains or in the jungles of Cambodia. Oh well. Comes with the territory I guess.
Moving along....
I had a 7 year old Vietnamese boy slap my ass yesterday. He was a cheeky little guy with impecable English who was so darn cute that he managed to scam me and my mom into buying postcards out of his little satchel of goodies and then just as we were walking away he wips out and slaps my ass! And gives me this "yeah baby, you know you like it" look. He was also wearing his school uniform. Ahh the story of my life, the only person who slaps my ass is a 7 year old homeless boy. Oh well. gotta take what you can get.
First traditional vietnamese dinning experience...open the menu only to find "broiled fellopian tubes with onions" and "crispy fried fellopian tubes" on the menu. How do you like your fellopian tubes? Softly broiled with onions or do you like them with a bit of crunch? If so please try our crispy fried fellopian tubes. I took a photo of the menu. Too good to pass up. I wonder what animal said fellopian tubes came from. Needless to say, me and mom passed on the fellopians and opted for shrimp. It was tasty and no fellopians were harmed in the making of our meal.
Today we are going to Cholong, the world's biggest chinatown. We are taking motorcylcle taxis...dear god, hopefully we make it in one peice and my driver doesn't spring a big boner while my arms are wrapped around him.
Oh speaking of motorcycles we say a guy wipe out on his in the Veitnemese equivalent of the etoile around the Arch the Triomph in Paris. Total chaos, cars and motorbikes and the whole deal all over the place. This guy bails and is lying in the middle of the road amidst 10 lanes of chaos and NO ONE stops. They merely ride around him like he is nothing more than an obstacle. He pretty much just lied there in the middle of the road until he got his wits about him (maybe 5 or 6 minutes) managed to hobble to his feet, hop on his bike and take off. It was absolutely fucked. No one stopped, no one even seemed to care. No one even really seemed to notice except a cyclo driver on the side of the road to saw me and mom looking very concerned on the side of the road and said "no problem" and kept on walking.
weird....
end of mindless blather part 6


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home