Saturday, December 16, 2006

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...

A mighty wind bloweth again!
Check it out! ( that's a hyperlink by the way...I'm too lazy to recount all the stats so you can read it all for yourself, and check out the photo gallery for a smalltaste.)
This year the weather has been totally crazy, whoever is out there saying that global warming isn't real is lying to themselves. Two nights ago we had the biggest storm in recorded history in Vancouver. Winds were up to 175 km/hr. Trees down, power out, umbrellas and garbage can flying down the street. Skirts were flying up to expose undies, old men's toupes were blowing off their shiny heads. It was pandamonium. At least we're not having to boil our water again...for now.
I can remember when I was a kid my mom and dad talking about the hurricane that blew through Vancouver when they were kids. My mom (or was it my dad?) said they can remember peices of the roof blowing off. Aparently our "storm" was even stronger that ol' Hurricane Ethel or whatever it's name was. Funny how Ethel was a "hurricane" and our storm which I will lovingly dub the "big blow" (insert dirty joke here) was only a 'storm' even though it was bigger...175 km/hr...that's gotta be a hurricane, give the storm a little recognition, give it a name god damnit! Who decides these things? Maybe we've just toughened up here in Lotus Land and no longer feel the need to make ourselves feel stronger by naming stuff.
The next morning we woke up to power outages and the beautiful trees in the park across the street snapped in two like toothpicks.
Then it snowed....ugh, it's just like 2 weeks ago all over again.
Anyway, sure makes for an exciting night's sleep (or lack thereof).
I'll post some pics of the park across the street in a bit.
Cheers and yuletide cheers.
J

1 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Thanks for the card! Happy Holidays and festive New Year to you and yours! I'm moving to San Francisco in January. Come visit! And I'll come visit you once the weather calms down a bit.

20 December, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home