out of the ordinary...
I usually don't talk politics on my blog but at this very moment I am sitting in my apartment a million miles away from Canada watching the CBC National and I'm so disgusted by the political posturing, mudslinging and lies being endlessly spat out by the polititians in my home country that I can't help but vent. To all of those reading who aren't Canadian, I apologize. For those of you who are Canadian, I beg of you to research your candidates and do not take your right to vote for granted. Do your research, make an informed decision and above all VOTE, please please please vote. January 23rd is V-Day, please make it worth while. As young people we hold the keys to how our country will unfold in the next decade and the next century. Decisions we make today will influence how our country is shaped in the future. This is not something to be taken lightly.
Depending on how you vote, we could possibly be entering a time that will see the things on which we, as Canadians, pride ourselves pushed into the back of the closet with the hopes (of our politians that is) that they will fade enough from the public consciousness that they can be squashed quietly in back rooms while we (the voting public) sit around clueless or perhaps apathetic.
I am not afraid to admit that I am very scared about what this next election will bring. In fact, I am terrified at what our country will become if the the backlash against the Liberal party puts Stephen Harper and the Conservatives in power, even in a minority government. A man who has said that he will put things in motion to reverse pro-gay marriage legistation and who has not shown a commitment to preserving something as fundamentally Canadian as public health care is not someone that I want to see leading my country.
Living in a foreign country for the last three years I have spent many a days explaining my country and it's many laws and policies to people I meet. Not only people from Japan but fellow English teachers from all over the world and I have come to appreciate the progressive policies of my country. Progessive views on marijuana, health care, immigration and human rights (lest we not forget that the Supreme Court of Canada declared that not allowing gay couples to marry is in fact against the Charter of Human Rights). Now, I, and every single citizen of my home country, is faced with the possibility that these things could be pulled out from under our noses.
Today Stephen Harper (in between his broken record statements about "change" and the 'sponsorship scandal") announced that he was going to reduce the GST to 5% over the next 5 years. Yes, taxes suck but why would you cut taxes while welcoming private healthcare due to "rising costs". If you have enough in the national surplus to cut taxes why don't you have enough to help the nation's poor have access to a doctor in a timely fashion? I personally would rather take that "whopping" 365-400$ per year that this wonderful new tax break would give me and write a check to national health care or education. In my pocket I probably wouldn't even notice that money...I mean shit, it only works out to a buck and change a day. But taking 400 bucks from every citizen of Canada's GST that they already spend and have been for the last 15 years and redirecting it into valuable resources could make a difference.
I hate all the shit that goes along with elections. This GST thing is a prime example. Appeal to the quick reflexes of tired voters "oh tax cuts whooopeee!!" in the hopes of sucking them in so that after the voting public has put you in office, you can go ahead and do as you please.
I'm not saying the Liberals are a great party and I myself will not be voting Liberal but PLEASE take a good look at Stephen Harper and his views before you vote. Don't cast a vote against the Liberals, cast a vote FOR Canada and the preservation of those things that make Canada what it is.
J


1 Comments:
You rock!
Itis a very scary time right now. Though i know our issues in Canada are not as bad as other countries, but to change the world we need to prove ourselves first. Keep talking!!
xo
Ang
Post a Comment
<< Home