Thursday, February 09, 2006

Having recently visited my good buddy Grace's blog I was delighted to know that her and I are working on the exact same wavelength. I have been busy collecting Kit Kats for my "wierd Japanese Kit Kats" blog post and when stopped in on 'ol Grace-chan's site I saw that she also had Kit Kats on the brain. I am envious of her approaching trip to discover kit kats of the world.

I was going to wait another week for my post because then it would suitably be right in the middle of exam time in Japan. A two week period infused with lack of sleep, stressed out kids and kit kats EVERYWHERE. In Japan the term "kito katsu" means something like "I'll do my best" or something like that. The kids all say it before they write their exams. So, boy was Nestle happy when they discovered that Kito Katsu sounds EXACTLY like the Japanese pronunciation of Kit Kat!! Cha-ching! cha-ching! The ol' boys at Kit Kat headquarters were sitting on a veritable cash cow! So now, every mother sticks a kit kat in the their kids bento lunch in hopes of giving them a little extra good luck on their exams.

But the Kit Kat frenzy doesn't stop after exam season. Japan is a country obsessed with seasonal "Limited Time Only" confectionary. So, every 6 months or so they come out with a new flavour of Kit Kat that is treated with much fanfare and usually it's own display at every grocery and convenience store in the land.

During my time in Japan I have had the chance to experience Lemon Cheesecake, Green tea, Passion fruit, white (made with milk especially from Hokkaido), azuki bean, mixed berry and coacoa covered varieties as well as the following taste sensations. Unfotunately I didn't take pictures of the all of them but anyone who saw me on my trip home for xmas last year won't forget the green chocolate disaster that was "green tea" flavoured kit kats. Anyhooo..... The following are some of the current varieties I have managed to scrape up. There is also the odd bag of Grape flovoured ones kicking around but I would have to buy the whole bag to take a picture and that would mean I would probably eat the bag in its entirety. So I refrained.

LET'S Chocolate!

4 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

DOODE, hook me UP with that crazy shiznit! I'll send you weird British ones, too! London in just a few days!

09 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew all that education would come in handy!

11 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. Sakura one looks especially nast. So It's Orimpikku taimu over here. Some mogul girl from out west brought home the gold on day one. An extremely proud moment. Sadly, I don't get CBC in English for some reason, and can only watch in French. But its all good.

By the wah, I read a good ethnography on Brazilian-Japanese working in Japan. Kameyama is actually one of the places mentioned! Alot of the academic commentary is pretty random, but some of the personal narratives are really really amazing. Highly recommended (sp?). Its called "No One Home: Brazilian Selves Remade in Japan".

Hope you're good! Drop me a line sometime

Peter

11 February, 2006  
Blogger moneymelon said...

I had no idea that there was a correlation between Kit Kats and wanting to study well in Japan. Doesn't surprise me though. I heart green tea Kit Kats.

Last night was a blast. I'm still recovering...
You and your man are so cute together!

12 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home