Monday, September 20, 2004

Sometimes the lack of discipline in this country is enough to make me scream. But of course I can't scream because that would be confrontational and heaven forbid I confront the little fuckers that are making my life at the moment a living hell. These kids get away with shit that would have thier scrawny little uniform clad asses tossed outta the building in a second back in Canada, or any other normal country for that matter.

"Good morning class, today we are going to learn some new vocab words"
"Can you say rude, unappreciative little bastard?"
"Repeat after me...Rude, unappreciative little bastard"
"let's try using it in the first person...ok here we go, repeat after me"
"I am a rude, unappreciative little bastard"
"Let's try it again, this time faster..all together now!"
"good good, very good. Now kiss my ass and shut up"

How does one tell an entire class full of rude, ignorant little pricks that I'm sick and tired of wasting my time attempting to teach them when they're not going to do anything but sit around and chat to each other, or file their nails or glue their eyelids open or whatever the hell else they're doing as if I wasn't even there. To make matters worse, the teacher (the displinarian in this situation...?!?) is so bloody afraid of confronting them and telling them to shut their traps that he just stands there looking nervous and scared that I might snap.
Snap, me? Usually not but if this bullshit scenario continues then I probably will. Why the teacher doesn't say anything I don't know. What's the big deal with reaming out the ream-worthy.

"can you say 'Little Daisuke-kun deserves a spanking?'"
"repeat after me..."

So, since I'm technically not allowed to say anything to them really I just stopped what I was doing and told them if they weren't going to listen then I wasn't going to talk and that was that. They didn't seem to care. Ugh.
After class I told the teacher that if he doesn't get his class under control I'm not coming back. I would be more productive picking my nose and making a booger collection, I swear, at least then I would some tangible result for all my effort.
For the most part my life in Japan is grand, but days like this make me want to get on the next plane home and kiss my students' unappreciative asses goodbye.

God I need a glass of gin and STAT! Too bad I'm stuck here until 6pm helping out the small percentage of decent students I have prepare for a speech contest.

Hopefully the 4 good students I have can redeem the 500 crappy ones that lurk in the shadows.

Tomorrow I going to karaoke with Craig and Daichi. Songs on the potential play list:
"It's been a hard day night" - the Beatles
"I can't get no satisfaction" - Rolling Stones
"working 9-5" - Dolly Parton
"Shut up" - Black eyed peas
"The end"- the Doors
"Kiss my ass you unappreciative little arses"...oh wait that's merely a fantasy...

I'm sensing a theme night coming on.

Bring on the gin and make it a stiff one....

2 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

You comin' to Tsu tomorrow nite? We need much gin to wash away the pain from the last few days! Don't leave me hanging!

21 September, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

......

01 October, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home