Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Kameyama Bad Boys update...December issue

Specimen #1:
Well, I have officially been proven wrong. One of the bad boys of Kameyama Chubu Junior High School is in fact truly...well...bad. Tanga Daisuke (Please see "Kameyama Chubu Junior High school Bad Boys Tour 2004") officially ended up in my bad books on Monday. He managed to, within the span of about two hours, physically assault three teachers, break the door to the teacher's lounge and smash all the lights in his homeroom class...oh and beat up another student and...brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen...he broke "Joe's English Mailbox" by kicking it down the hall in a fit of anger. Yes, that's it, breaking my mailbox is stepping over the line. He was so out of control that his homeroom teacher actually called the police, something I didn't think happened here. I never did see any cops show up though and in typical Japanese fashion, he was back at school the next day wreaking havoc once more.

It's hard to tell what is the better approach. The North American "kick 'em out 'cause they're too far gone" approach or the Japanese "keep hauling their sorry asses back to class so that they can terrorize the students more and more" approach. The first is easiest for everyone. The teachers don't have their faces punched in by insane delinquents and the insane delinquents can run amok on the streets free from the constraints of the establishment. However, as many a overly optomistic psychologist would have us think, not giving up on them will in time show them that you truly care and they will mend their evil ways and become productive members of society. I personally am more akin to option 1 (but only after trying option 2 for a little while and having it fail). Truly I don't think anything is going to fix this kid. He is so bubbling over with anger, I wonder what his home life is like, why he hates everyone and everything. Although I should be the first to know that in the end it may have nothing to do with his home or his family. It might just be his head.

Speaking of his head, I would love to get inside it. Too bad I don't speak Japanese well enough. I have a feeling that even if I did, this boy is too locked up to let me in. He is completely devoid of the "Joe worship" syndrome that the rest of the school has been infected with. Oh well. I just try to smile at him sincerely in halls (when he's not busy breaking shit or punching out teachers and other students), If I can get a smile back i will feel like I have accomplished something...as long as it's not one of those "I want to have sex with you" smiles...I've had a few of those from my upper level students...creepy.

P.S Apparently one of Tanga's bad boy sidekicks has decided to reform his ways and get his shit together enough to get into a decent highschool. This has Tanga none too happy. This is apparently the source of Monday's outburst.

Specimen #2:

My favorite of the bad boys, Yuuki-kun (once again please see "Bad Boys Tour" post) has fallen a bit to the wayward side. Apparently he is reaching Tanga proportions at an ever increasing pace. This upsets me because I know he's a good kid. He's sweet and soft spoken. I think he's just a bit fucked up. Today Mizutani-sensei told me that Yuuki is getting so bad because he had his heart broken. I had noticed that he dyed his hair a few weeks back, Mizutani said that he did it the day after his poor, fragile, 10th grade heart was torn from his chest. Mizutani didn't know who the girl was. Awww, that is so sad, I just want to give little Yuuki-kun a big hug. Get well soon Yuuki! Girls are evil, don't let 'em destroy you....

Specimen #3:

Although absent from the "bad boys tour" photo due to an urgent need to fix up his mohawk, Kazuki Hara is a fairly active member of this band of ruffians. He's the strong silent type. He's the follower of the group, shadowing Tanga 24/7. He never talks, he never smiles he never does anything. I've never even seen him talk to the rest of the gang. Not quite sure what his deal is. I don't have any problems with him. I even managed to get him to say "my shirt is green" in a class a few months back...this is real progress...REAL PROGRESS!

Specimen #4:

Shogo seems to have fully recovered from the brain anneurism he suffered from last month. He now has a big ass scar across on side of his head where they opened him up. Unfortunately removing a small piece of something from his head didn't calm him down. For a week or so after his return he was calmer (almost dying often makes one put their life in perspective) but he's back to his same old ways. Like Kazuki, I don't really have a problem with Shogo. He's loud and obnoxious at times and never does his work but he's polite and respectful to me and as far as I can tell, the teachers as well.

Well that's about it for the bad boys for now, we'll see what the winter holiday gets them in into.

Oh and I have discovered a new, rightly fucked up student at my school. But this kids isn't a bad boy, he just a "really fucked up boy" this kid doesn't act up at all. Kenichi-kun is a second grade student. He never talks and can't do any of the activities. Yesterday I found out why. Apparently Kenichi's father is one of the many people in Japan who think that killing themselves is a good idea. Ok, ya, the economy is shit and ya maybe you aren't making any money but it will get better in time. Kenichi's father didn't think so. Daddy did the deed two months ago and Kenichi hasn't spoken a word to anyone since, NO ONE. Not his friends, family, mother, teachers, siblings...no one at all. He has lived in complete silence. Great idea pops.... When I found out I felt so angry towards this kid's dad. I hope the mom is getting him some help, but I figure probably not since having a member of your family kill themself is disgracefull, you most definetly don't want anyone to talk about it, even if you kids is fucked up beyond belief and it may be the only thing to help him. Shameful.

2 more days until VANCOUVER!!! Yeah! Let's enjoying!

1 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

wow, your students are more fucked up than mine. have a wonderful time in Vancouver! when will you be back?

14 December, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home